Idiotic Eureka Moment

dtaylor

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:58 pm

daryl wrote:
Dean, are noodling on electric or acoustic? Are you using a backing track or did you make your own?
I've been using backing tracks mainly, it's nice to see the chords change visually when trying to follow the changes, but also just playing favourite music and filling in between the vocals is fun too.

I do have a looper, a Digitech Trio+ which also creates drum and bass tracks based on what chords or bass-line you 'teach' it; it's a great bit of kit and I mean to try writing songs with it too.

I have been practicing on a Yamaha Silent guitar with a set of electric strings on it, it gives an acoustic sound with the ability to bend notes like an electric. A lot of fun!

dtaylor

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:08 pm

[/quote]

This is where I am with mapping the major and minor scale, the A, D and E shaped triads (major and minor). This shows the C triads in green and the relative (Am) triads in red and how they relate (as you say, Tom, with the sixth being the root of the minor shapes).

I finally realised you just need to put any single triad in the correct position on the fretboard for the key you're in, then play on.
Image[/quote]

Further exploration of modes/scales... is it correct to say that each mode has a relative major scale?

I was playing over an A Dorian backing track and working out how to play that mode. As Dorian has its root on the second scale degree, if I orientate the major scale, as shown, on the G triads (one scale degree below the A) and treat the second scale degree as home, am I therefore playing in A Dorian...?

And if I place the triads to play D chords, and treat the 5th scale measure as home, am I playing in A Mixolydian?
Or more simply place the 5th where it plays an "A" note?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic