Idiotic Eureka Moment

dtaylor

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:55 pm

A popular podcast in England is The Frank Skinner Show on Absolute Radio, he has a segment called Idiotic Eureka Moments (that moment you finally realise something that was patently obvious to everyone else at first glance, like realising that the number 365 in web addresses isn't just a random series :))

My IEM came about as I was referencing the major scale I'd drawn out on a fretboard diagram as I practiced to a backing track in C. Just 2 chords, C and Am, and then as the track moved to minor, I was looking at the minor scale diagram I'd drawn out below the major one... :blush:

So, after kicking myself for missing the blindingly obvious for so long I've dispensed with one of the diagrams...

daryl

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:36 pm

That's what I was saying about all the modes! They are all the same notes! Why do they make things so complicated???

dtaylor

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:48 pm

I can't believe it took me so long to realise :0

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:19 am

Nice one Dean! :)

tombo1230

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:43 am

dtaylor wrote:
It's better late than never as they say Dean. The 6th note of each of the Major scales indicates what the relative minor key is. So it's win, win! multiple times. :)

Tom N.

dtaylor

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:46 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
dtaylor wrote:
It's better late than never as they say Dean. The 6th note of each of the Major scales indicates what the relative minor key is. So it's win, win! multiple times. :)

Tom N.
This is where I am with mapping the major and minor scale, the A, D and E shaped triads (major and minor). This shows the C triads in green and the relative (Am) triads in red and how they relate (as you say, Tom, with the sixth being the root of the minor shapes).

I finally realised you just need to put any single triad in the correct position on the fretboard for the key you're in, then play on.

tombo1230

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:18 pm

dtaylor wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
dtaylor wrote:

Tom N.
This is where I am with mapping the major and minor scale, the A, D and E shaped triads (major and minor). This shows the C triads in green and the relative (Am) triads in red and how they relate (as you say, Tom, with the sixth being the root of the minor shapes).

I finally realised you just need to put any single triad in the correct position on the fretboard for the key you're in, then play on.

(I tried to attach a .JPG image @276 KB. Any advice...?)
I can only suggest that maybe it is too big a jpeg, maybe if you could reduce it. Dermot posts pic’s all the time, so he may know the size limit if that is the problem.

thereshopeyet

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 pm

Interesting post Dean

Dermot

:)

dtaylor

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:07 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Sometimes if a picture doesn't upload for me I open it with MS Paint and resave it to my desktop as a jpg again :dry: .
Then I edit the post and upload the resave jpg.

I also find sometimes the edit needs to be edited to place the image
on the next text line.

Why this works I'm not sure !!

:)
Thanks, Dermot, I tried a few times again, I'm out of ideas :unsure:

daryl

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:29 am

Do you want to email the jpeg to me or Dermot to try? Just PM one of us for our email addresses.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic