'Brain Damage' by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:20 am

Well you had to know I'd be one of the first in here :) I hope this is the right spot for videos now.

I'm posting Pink Floyd's 'Brain Damage' (sorry about the false start:). I have a couple of questions about my playing..

-I'm looking for any tips on my strumming. When I watch the video back- my right hand doesn't look correct. I also think I'm missing some of the beats I should be hitting during the strumming.

-What level would you say my playing is at? Late beginner? Early intermediate?

-Of course other tips and pointers & comments are welcome as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

AA

[video type=youtube][/video]

Chasplaya

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:57 am

Al,

Great job and thanks for getting the ball rolling. Your left hand position is really nice, way to keep your thumb low and wrist bent. Your suspicions about your right hand are correct. You need to bend your wrist a little. Think about pointing your fingers a little more down, towards the floor, or moving your little finger toward your elbow. Your thumb should be plucking the string more toward the fingerboard (and your left hand) and your fingers should be more tucked inside your hand so they pluck more toward the bridge. You should be able to pluck with your thumb and index finger alternating strokes on the same string without them running into each other.

I'm not sure if this written explanation is clear. I'll try to remember to bring it up on TG Live this weekend.

Also, try to keep the bass alternating on the D chord when it returns at the end of the verse. It looks like you get into pounding mode (hitting the same string repeatedly in the bass).

Neil

AcousticAl

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:54 am

Hi Neil,

I went back to your video on 'Brain Damage' and I see what you mean about my right hand position. I also see what you mean about my D chord- I didn't realize I was doing that with the bass note.

On an obvious side note- I think the 'Member Videos for Review' is a great idea!!
It's amazing getting this feedback from you and other TARGET members.. INVALUABLE!

Al

RicksPick

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 pm

Sounds good Al nice and clean sound

RicksPick

BigBear

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Well done Al! You are my hero for having the guts to post a song! Maybe after my surgery tomorrow and I get back to playing I'll give it a go!! :cheer:

AndyT

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Great job Al!

Bear, in keeping in line with this thread, would that be brain surgery?

TGJIM

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Karma bump for you. Nice job!

AndyT

Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:23 am

Good job Rick. I'm working on Brain Damage when I'm not doing the beginners lesson for Lucky Man.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Nice Job Al! You've motivated me to try that next. I've always just strummed it, picking was nice. Karma for you for being first and being so helpful!

AcousticAl

Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:06 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Nice Job Al! You've motivated me to try that next. I've always just strummed it, picking was nice. Karma for you for being first and being so helpful!

Look at me- motivating people! Whodathunkit!
I 'inspirate' Willem, you know..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic