'Imagine' by AcousticAl - Updated Nov. 2009, pg1

AcousticAl

Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi there,

This was on the TG Community side, so I brought it over here.

As I wrote over there- I need to get to my F-chord faster (and cleaner) any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

AA

BigBear

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Al- another great job!! You aren't fluid yet but with more playing you'll have it hammered! Imagine is a song of great emotion so it really puts a premium on timing and playing with feeling. You can be technically perfect and it still won't sound quite right without getting the pace right. It's a tough song for that reason. Getting those transitions smoother will add to that too.

Man, you have really taken advantage of the TARGET program!! Maybe Neil will make you his poster child for the program!! Congrats on your progress! :cheer:

goldleaf

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 pm

Al, it just keeps getting better and better. I can see what was said about the song having so much feeling that you would really need to just own those transitions then make the song yours. I can see why that would be extremely difficult. You really set a difficult goal with Imagine but it is coming along great. Look forward to hearing the progress, it motivates me. Gary

AcousticAl

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks to Bear and Gary for the comments.

I know I'm not smooth yet-- it actually took me quite a few takes to actually get through the song! But I took Neil's advice and am playing songs that are probably too hard for the level I'm at. The emotion in the playing will come eventually (I hope!)

And yes, Rick- I am taking full advantage of TARGET. This is perfect for my learning style. I'm a visual learner, so I can watch Neil (and you guys eventually) and soak it all in. Getting direct feedback from Neil is great as well!

Al

haoli25

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:25 pm

WOW! Al. That was very impressive.

As to your question about the F-chord, try Neil's advice. Just concentrate on getting the individual notes down as you play them, rather than making the entire chord at once.
Just make the barre first to play the F on the 6th string, then get the ring finger down for the C on the 5th, the F on the 4th, and the A on the 3rd.
That will make your chord transitions smoother, particularly on the more difficult chords.

You are doing great, stay with it.

Thanks for posting your video.

Bill

AndyT

Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:15 am

You are getting you barre chords down. That is great on its own, add to it being able to play with them is fantastic! Keep it up!

neverfoundthetime

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Great going Al!

RicksPick

Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:54 am

Very nice Al

I want to be that good someday

For me lots of emotion was felt
no problem hearing the tune, melody
Not long till you "own" this one

Just In from long night shift
Checkin wot u guys are upto ( jim lad, arrr)
Herd some nice music
gunna sleep well
night

RicksPick

AcousticAl

Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:05 pm

I thought I’d take a page out of Jay’s book and post an update on my progress with one of my earlier songs - 'Imagine'.

Then I thought I’d take a page out of Michele’s book and film my face AND guitar. Voila!

Comments welcome. Please let me know what differences you see between this and the earlier video and if you see any changes (dare I say improvements?) between the two.

Cheers!

reiver

Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:35 pm

Very nice Al. The playing that is -although obviously you are a very handsome man! Hehe! (that should get Willem going again)

Much smoother this time and the F chord doesn't seem to be such an issue.

Karma on it's way once I've re-charged

r

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic