Combo - Who'll stop the rain

combo

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Second post on the forum... Wow.

This is basically Who'll stop the rain as Neil teaches it with the exception that I have tried adding the melody notes and changed the strumming a bit. Finding the melody notes and how to modify the chords was a real pain since I am still somewhat of a beginner guitar player and cannot figure that stuff out by ear other than with trial and error. I also skipped the lead parts since I did not feel comfortable playing them.

A few notes on this:
* I am pretty sure I have missed something with the melody in the second "verse" since that one seems to differ a bit from the first verse when Neil plays it. Anyone know?
* I still cannot play barre chords properly and play Em instead of Bm. I think you can get away with that in this song, right?
* Also, I cannot make those cool facial expressions Neil does on his play through ;)

Anyone have some comments or constructive criticism?

BigBear

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Combo-

That was great! The way you incorporated the melody into the strumming is exactly what I am hoping people will try to do, without the step by step instructions in TAB. Your left hand position looks really good, which makes me think you must just about be able to play barre chords. Make that your next priority.

Good motion with the strumming, although you could probably loosen up a bit on gripping the pick, as well as opening your fingers a little more to keep everything a little more relaxed.

The spots where you added the change to Em need to be counted more carefully. You added a few beats there by making the change in the middle of a measure. You also need to count really carefully in the instrumental section when the changes go C-G-D, etc.

Neil

P.S. The facial expressions will come as you get more relaxed playing (and recording)

Spectacular Job!

RicksPick

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Hi Combo

Welcome to the forum
Blindingly good introduction
A beginner, I think not.
Very well done

RicksPick

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:34 pm

Combo:

Great job! I have been working on that as well. It is a lot of fun to play. I have not been concentrating on the melody, just playing the chords and trying to sing along. You did a fantastic job. Karma to you!

Keep up the good work.

MJ

:laugh:

AndyT

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:48 pm

Nice job Combo! And a nod from Neil right off the bat! Good Joss!

haoli25

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:48 pm

Good job COMBO! I can tell that you have put in a lot of work and practice. As Neil said, adding the melody notes was a nice touch. Again, nice work and thank you for posting your video.

Bill

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:09 pm

Hey there Combo!

Nice to see another person posting in the 'student review' section.
I'm away from my home computer right now and have NO SPEAKERS!

I'm looking forward to getting home to hear your version of "Who'll Stop the Rain"!

Al

AndyT

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Time to buy a laptop Al.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Great job COMBO. No way you can call yourself a beginner now! Really cool facial expressions... much better than Neil's! Karma for posting!

combo

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:38 am

Aww, you guys are so nice! :blush:

Rickspick: You play house of the rising sun better than I do!

neverfoundthetime: I think I need a mustache to be as cool as Neil, I better get on that ASAP.

Too be honest I think it was easier than I thought to add the melody notes to a song once you know the notes. I think it would be a lot easier if you got the melody tabbed out for new songs added though... Maybe that could be a suggestion for Neil when adding songs suitable for this in the future?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic