Combo - Who'll stop the rain

AcousticAl

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:53 am

Just saw (and heard) your video this morning, Combo.

Great job! You seem very relaxed strumming and changing chords as well- like you don't even have to think about it.

Looking forward to seeing your next video with barre chords :)

AndyT

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:53 pm

You did an excellent job. Many of us are jealous, the rest just want your skills added to our own.

goldleaf

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:38 pm

Combo, really good job, I hope to get where you are some day soon. Great strumming and the facials will come with practice as Neil says. Thanks for the video. Gary

BigBear

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Combo- you only want constructive criticism? No destructive criticism allowed? lol! What fun is that? :lol:

Hey, great job! Since you have the chords down pretty well the next thing I'd work on is your strumming. CCR made their living on that "swamp rock" beat. Try to add some feeling to your playing by varying the down and up strokes so they don't sound the same. Make the downstroke the accent beat and the upstrokes a lighter, almost "chunka-chunka" beat.

That song in particular puts heavy emphasis on the first beat. A good way to get this feel is to put your hand across all the strings (mute) and not play a chord. Then work on that Boom-chunka-chunka sound. Once you've got it, you can use it on many CCR songs!

Again, really good job! Cheers! :cheer:

Rick

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:46 am

BigBear wrote:
Combo- you only want constructive criticism? No destructive criticism allowed? lol! What fun is that? :lol:

Hey, great job! Since you have the chords down pretty well the next thing I'd work on is your strumming. CCR made their living on that "swamp rock" beat. Try to add some feeling to your playing by varying the down and up strokes so they don't sound the same. Make the downstroke the accent beat and the upstrokes a lighter, almost "chunka-chunka" beat.

That song in particular puts heavy emphasis on the first beat. A good way to get this feel is to put your hand across all the strings (mute) and not play a chord. Then work on that Boom-chunka-chunka sound. Once you've got it, you can use it on many CCR songs!

Again, really good job! Cheers! :cheer:

Rick
Hey Bear where do I get the technical definition for Boom-Chunka-Chunka

AndyT

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:22 am

I hear about that Chunka chunk sound pretty often. I'd really like to know more about it.

combo

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:27 am

BigBear wrote:
A good way to get this feel is to put your hand across all the strings (mute) and not play a chord. Then work on that Boom-chunka-chunka sound.
Is that a mute as in just mute the strings or in as a muted strum? I never quite figured out how muting and playing at the same time works.

goldleaf

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Bear, splain how that Boom Chuck-Chucka things works. I think I've seen Neil do it by accident a few times but not sure. All these little tips help. Thanks. Gary

BigBear

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:04 pm

Chasplaya wrote:

Hey Bear where do I get the technical definition for Boom-Chunka-Chunka

You know, when I wrote that I just knew I was going to get grief!! I tried to think of something else to describe that sound but that was the best I could come up with on short notice!

At least I provided some entertainment for you guys!! LOL! :lol:

BigBear

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:09 pm

combo wrote:
BigBear wrote:
A good way to get this feel is to put your hand across all the strings (mute) and not play a chord. Then work on that Boom-chunka-chunka sound.
Is that a mute as in just mute the strings or in as a muted strum? I never quite figured out how muting and playing at the same time works.
I was just suggesting muting all the strings and playing the song as you hear it in your head just to get the feel of the strum. There is no real mute in the actually song. But CCR does a lot of string muting in their songs. Muting is a great technique to learn. :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic