"Here comes the Sun"

terrynewton

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:59 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Terry, It seems most people use the baseball grip unless they have had training. It seems to come natural to use more of the baseball grip except certain chords that force you to position your wrist so you can stretch to reach notes. It's like you are fighting nature. I'm curious to see what happens when you play a song that requires you to say, barre and reach your pinky a couple frets up where you are really streching. I wonder if you would automatically bring your wrist around cause you don't have a choice if you want to play a riff, fill-in or chord requiring you to strech up the fretboard. Just seems odd that the most natural way of playing is what we are supposed to avoid and the most unnatural is what we are to strive to do. Enough of that subject. On your video, I see what you are saying, "how you have a hard time slowing down" after practicing faster. When I watched your video again I did notice it seemed like you were racing to get to the end of the song instead of making some variations of timing to emphasize certain parts of the song to add a little more feeling. Gary
Gary, you are absolutely right!! I hope to be posting "Classical Gas" next week and you will see that the bar cords forces me to make the change and that is no problem. It is just that I have played cords like "D, A, Am, D, Dm, small F, etc for so long that when I try to shift to the correct wrist position--- I can't even fine the notes--my fingers say "What the????????? where did that come from?? You can't do that!!!! Who do you think you are?? Neil Holgen. So the new songs will help force me to make the changes a little at a time----- I hope.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Terry

wrench

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:47 pm

Terry,

I watched your (and everyone else's) video today before shooting my own. I am really impressed with your work.

I know you're beating yourself up pretty bad with the baseball grip, but you must realize you are doing this while still making great music. You must have really great guitar hands, and you will probably be the most amazed of all at how well you play when you beat the grip.

I used to coach some amateur baseball, and I can tell you that kids with great talent and physical gifts were impossible to coach because they could do well without learning fundamentals or trying anything different than what they were doing. Kids who couldn't throw 60 mph and their arms hurt all the time were a little more receptive. I helped some of those kids to get into professional baseball by teaching them fundamentals and mechanics. I can only imagine how many of the gifted kids would have made it if they fixed their hand positions, oops, I mean pitching mechanics.

I think Neil is doing that for us by teaching fundamentals and techniques to maximize whatever tools we have. In your case, you have a lot to work with, and I don't think there is anything you can't play when you master hand position.

wrench

terrynewton

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:25 pm

wrench wrote:
Terry,

I watched your (and everyone else's) video today before shooting my own. I am really impressed with your work.

I know you're beating yourself up pretty bad with the baseball grip, but you must realize you are doing this while still making great music. You must have really great guitar hands, and you will probably be the most amazed of all at how well you play when you beat the grip.

I used to coach some amateur baseball, and I can tell you that kids with great talent and physical gifts were impossible to coach because they could do well without learning fundamentals or trying anything different than what they were doing. Kids who couldn't throw 60 mph and their arms hurt all the time were a little more receptive. I helped some of those kids to get into professional baseball by teaching them fundamentals and mechanics. I can only imagine how many of the gifted kids would have made it if they fixed their hand positions, oops, I mean pitching mechanics.

I think Neil is doing that for us by teaching fundamentals and techniques to maximize whatever tools we have. In your case, you have a lot to work with, and I don't think there is anything you can't play when you master hand position.

wrench
Thanks Wrench for the encouraging words. I agree that Neil is right and no matter how long I have played this way, or how well I sound I really need to make the adjustment if I want to improve in my playing. At the age of 59 I know it will take a lot of effort on my part, but it is the right thing to do. Your thoughts were encouraging as I said and I look forward to seeing more of your progress as well. You have really done well for 6 month, and I am glad that you were able to start off in the right direction with a proper left hand position from Neil. I wish my instructor from 50 years ago would have done the same for me.

Thanks again,
Terry (Batman) Newton, ;)

jayswett

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Wow. Unbelievable rendition of that song. Loved it. If that song is in the Target Program, it's my next project.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic