"Here comes the Sun"

goldleaf

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:40 pm

Terry, great job, like you've been playing that song for years. Had to laugh at the baseball grip, not at you at how well you were playing with it. I have the same story as you. My wife of 20 yrs. has been dusting and moving my guitar since I've known her. Unitl I found TG a few months ago I don't think she thought I could play the guitar since it's has been over 30 years since I played serious. Sounds like lots of us old farts 1)know how to use a computer and 2) found TG, and that for me has made all the difference. Keep it up, look forward to watching more videos from you. Gary

terrynewton

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:20 am

Gary,

Like you I wish I would have played on a regular basis over the years. But when one doesn't have friends who play or a great teaching program like TG---what can you say, you go with the flow. But now I am having fun taking on the program again. And this time I plan to stick with it.

Thanks for your reply,

Terry

goldleaf

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:08 pm

Me too, I'm already learning songs complete, got my callouses back and having a good time. It is really hard to get motivated at least for me just playing alone with no new input or others to jam with. TG works well cause I can tune in anytime I have a 1/2 hour or more and the TG system makes it pretty easy to learn if you are motivated. So here is to TG and learning some great songs and maybe buying a nice new Martin or Taylor, haven't decided. Gary

nemastetaylor

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:58 pm

Damn, that was good. I loved it. Yeah, so what if you have a baseball grip. It sounded nice. I am sure you will lose that grip over time. I am very impressed!!!

BigBear

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:16 am

Terry- I'm a little late on this one but to echo all the other praise, you did a fantastic job!! Congratulations! You are proof that you can play well even with a grip that may not be perfect but stills seems to work just fine.

It's like in golf. Rarely is it worth changing someone's whole swing but instead make minor corrections until they get where they want to be. If the classic hand postion doesn't feel right just work on making very minor position changes until it does feel right. You did so well I'd sure be hesitant to change anything in a big way!

Cheers! :cheer:

terrynewton

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:23 am

Thanks for the comments. I have tried to change my grip-----but boy do I screw up when I do. I think you are right about it taking time.
Thanks again,
Terry

terrynewton

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:34 am

BigBear,

The minor position changes is a great idea. Because I learned this grip as a young kid, it has stayed with me until now of course, and that's a good 50 years. Even thought I didn't stay up on my playing over the years, I am having a real hard time making the change. I think what I will do is make the change on new cords and tabs and see how that works. A little at a time on new stuff just might work better I think.

Thanks for your imput.

Terry

Chasplaya

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:51 am

Hi Terry-

I just added a short response to your original post.

Neil

terrynewton

Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:23 am

Neil,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will work on moving the thumb as you said for better support a little at a time. It's like starting over again when I do. But I will make it work.

The double note should be there and I will work on that as well. Thanks for the exercise on that.

I do practice my songs faster then they should be----then I have the problem of slowing them down to the right tempo again. A lot of the things I do are old habites that I need to work on to overcome.

But thanks again for taking the time to make me a better player. I love the site and the songs you play and the way you teach them. You will be hearing more in the near future.

Terry

goldleaf

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Terry, It seems most people use the baseball grip unless they have had training. It seems to come natural to use more of the baseball grip except certain chords that force you to position your wrist so you can stretch to reach notes. It's like you are fighting nature. I'm curious to see what happens when you play a song that requires you to say, barre and reach your pinky a couple frets up where you are really streching. I wonder if you would automatically bring your wrist around cause you don't have a choice if you want to play a riff, fill-in or chord requiring you to strech up the fretboard. Just seems odd that the most natural way of playing is what we are supposed to avoid and the most unnatural is what we are to strive to do. Enough of that subject. On your video, I see what you are saying, "how you have a hard time slowing down" after practicing faster. When I watched your video again I did notice it seemed like you were racing to get to the end of the song instead of making some variations of timing to emphasize certain parts of the song to add a little more feeling. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic