wrench - From the Beginning Follow Up

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:17 pm

HI Dan the Man! Fine job, vastly improved on your first, by my math thats now 10mths playing unbelievable!

Only tweak i'd say is when playing the A bass note on moving from the Am9 to the Dadd11/A is to hit the bass note on the move between chords reduce that pause, now thats being picky, but its something I noted from Neil on another recent vid, about getting into position for the next chord and playing bass notes on the way and not to wait. Other than that what can I say, wished I could play the song as well now never mind after only 10mths.

Chas

wrench

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:46 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words.

MarkM - Thanks. That's meaningful coming from a player of your caliber.

Chris - that's my starter guitar - Yamaha FG700S. I had it out for Heart of Gold, and just kept playing it. It wasn't plugged in. I'll post something in the Techies Group, but I shot this with a "Value Tech" setup - $59 webcam and a $20 Radio Shack headset/mic.

Lisa - Thanks. At the last webinar Neil mentioned, nay, Challenged TARGET members to play this song. I couldn't let a perfectly good challenge go unanswered.

Chas - Hmmmm... I was hitting the A on the fly until I recently reviewed the lesson and saw I needed to mute those chords after the last up. That must be when I started delaying the A. OK, a refinement to explore. Thanks.

wrench

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:01 am

Of course, a remarkable video. Until recently, I played a simplified version of this tune from a tab I had found on the web. After seeing Neil's more intricate playing in his lesson, I kinda let it fade. Seeing your version makes me feel challenged to actually do something to get the "real" version going for this tune.

I see you don't need to look much at what your left hand is doing, but you do put a lot of attention at looking at your right (picking) hand.

I wonder if that is just habit, anyway just thought I'd mention it.

Maybe soon you'll be watching TV and deciding what to eat for supper while playing this ... good work!

Pierre

Lavallee

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:10 am

Dan another excellent update, your rhythm is just grealty improving, it sounds very fluid and melodic.

Marc

wrench

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:11 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
I see you don't need to look much at what your left hand is doing, but you do put a lot of attention at looking at your right (picking) hand.

I wonder if that is just habit, anyway just thought I'd mention it.

Pierre
A very astute and correct observation. I find Greg Lake's music harder to pick than it is to finger. In this song, he shifts from cross-picking to alternating-picking, and there are enough alternating-pick notes in the riff to raise the probability of a flub, so yes, I was keeping an eye on it. Another Greg Lake/TARGET song, Still You Turn Me On, has similar picking challenges.

wrench

Yamaha48

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:10 am

Hello Dan.

A good follow up,what is the brand of your guitar?.
Good sound the strings are Ddario?.

Greet Anton

wrench

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:55 am

yamaha48 wrote:
Hello Dan.

A good follow up,what is the brand of your guitar?.
Good sound the strings are Ddario?.

Greet Anton
Thank you, Anton. The guitar is a Yamaha FG700S. It is my first guitar. I made a deal with myself to stop playing my nicer guitar until I make my first guitar sound good. The strings were actually dead, I changed them right after this video. In fact, look at my new avatar. It is a graph of these old strings and then new strings. Yes, they are D'Addario EXP11, but I like EJ11 (un-coated) better.

Dan

michelew

Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:37 pm

Wrench - I didn't see the first video, so I'm glad you came back for the review video. It sounds great. Picking is something I need to get onto. But you make it look easy, which I'm sure it isn't. Good job.

snipe

Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:28 am

Wow.... That was great!! Only 6 months? You've got skills!!!

Looking forward to see some more from you! Seeing other people play really helps me to learn
Thanks

Mike

jayswett

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:12 am

That songs looks complex. Your update demonstates significant improvement, and serves as kick in the pants for me to try to keep moving forward. I've been slacking of late. Great job on a lovely song.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic