wrench - From the Beginning Follow Up

Lavallee

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Wrench, like everybody else I am amazed that you can play like this after 6 months. As a suggestion, like Haoli mentionned the metronome will be a got tool. I have just started playing with it and I can see the improvement. You will see the difference quickly because we have the tendency to go faster on the sections we are confortable and then slow down on the more difficult ones. Also the difficult ones seems more difficult because we try to keep the pace with the easier sections.

great work

Marc

wrench

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Guys, I really appreciate the positive and gentle feedback. I'm humbled a bit because I've seen some of your videos, and many of them are excellent to say the least. Some of you make me really enjoy songs I flat out never liked before.

Bill and Marc, you're right about practicing with the metronome. The worst part is that I have one and I am just plain guilty of not giving it any serious work yet.

Gary, I played guitar, and very poorly I might add, from age 11 to 16. Other than that, the only other musical instrument I ever played is the stereo. I didn't even use any video equipment on this. My wife shot this with a digital camera that has a 3-minute video limit at 15fps. Believe me, the guitar face would still be a secret if there was any other framing possible.

Andy, you never knew this, but I was laughing the whole time I read the forum thread on guitar face. Most of you can out-play me; none of you can out-face me.

I want to second Marc's comment on his Classical Gas video about playing better off camera than on. When it comes to pressure, I have ice water in my veins, and I still felt like I was playing with boxing gloves on today.

To members who haven't done this yet, I encourage you to do it! I started to play six months ago just hoping to play my wife a few songs. Because of TG, today I played one of those songs to the world, and the world responded. How cool is that?

Thanks for your comments and support. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone else's videos. This is fun beyond measure.

wrench

rcsnydley

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Great job, Dan. I can only imagine what you'll sound like after another 6 months.

Ric

RicksPick

Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:57 am

Wow Dan

6 Months!!!

Iv'e been thrashing mine a lot longer
I must be doing something wrong
To come so far in 6 months
Well done

Well I'm going for some serious Practice :blush:

RicksPick

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:12 am

Great job, Dan! You must practice tons to be able to pull that off in 6 months.

One thing I noticed- and I don't know for sure-
but should you be using 'alternating picking' when you're picking off individual notes? They seem to all be 'downs'.

Karma for you!

wrench

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:59 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Great job, Dan! You must practice tons to be able to pull that off in 6 months.

One thing I noticed- and I don't know for sure-
but should you be using 'alternating picking' when you're picking off individual notes? They seem to all be 'downs'.

Karma for you!
Al,

You're mostly right. I alternated the little bass riff, but the rest I sacrificed through "artistic license" just to get a postable video. I really can alternate pick. Really. Honest. My next video will be Still You Turn Me On, which is mostly cross-picked, and I'm really good at that - proving it by video may be tougher.

These things are so much fun, but do you know hard it is for a newbie to get a clean take? BTW, THANK YOU for pioneering this for us. I wish everybody would do this because it really draws excellent feedback, and raises the fun rate to the roof.

wrench

wrench

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:15 pm

bump for follow up

MarkM

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:38 pm

Wrench....

You're on FIRE. That was a pleasure to listen too. Great Great job. Can't anything else than that. Loved it!!!

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Dan that was really cool. Great improvement. That's a good documentation of how well you are progressing, congratulations on your fine work. Different guitar this time, what is it? Are you plugged in?

lmc831

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi Dan,

I remember your first video on this song...WOW, I am impressed! Your determination to learn this song is evident. This song is not an easy one to master. Good job!! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic