Jay's Dust in the Wind

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:28 am

HI Jay, good job a couple of points very smooth picking yet again, same comment re guitar position as I've made on other vids.

When you get to the transition from the Intro to the Verse the 1/8th note runs from Am G/B , then C and the similar run from Chorus back to the verse again Am G/B and a C be more deliberate with the bass notes and also they are 1/8 notes so you can hear the change in speed from the 1/16ths you've been playing These are the pairs of notes from the chord shapes they need to be a bit more distinct as opposed to blendin in with the pattern.

Otherwise good job yet again.

Good on ya mate.

jayswett

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:30 am

The guitar in this vid is a Yamaha DW-8, which I gather is an entry level Yamaha. My brother gave it to me a number of years ago. I have several other mid-level guitars, and I must say I prefer this one to all of them.

jayswett

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks for all the comments. I'll keep slugging away. Slower tempo, better hand position, better guitar position. All need some work. I'm amazed how much one can learn from watching himself or herself on video. I recommend it for all beginners, and come to think of it, I suspect intermediate and advanced players would find some value in it as well.

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:05 pm

jayswett wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. I'll keep slugging away. Slower tempo, better hand position, better guitar position. All need some work. I'm amazed how much one can learn from watching himself or herself on video. I recommend it for all beginners, and come to think of it, I suspect intermediate and advanced players would find some value in it as well.

Jay, you are definately already an intermediate player! Your beginner days are way behind you! All these comments are very fine points which should not detract from an excellent job of playing these songs.

Remember, you are with friends who all want to get better. You just had the courage to post your work! Kudos to you my friend!! :cheer:

jayswett

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:11 am

BigBear wrote:
The biggest problem I saw is I think you have a blow in the song. At about 47-48 seconds you go back to the intro pattern instead of staying with the pattern that accompanies the verse. Check out Neil's tab and I think you'll see what I mean.
Yes, I do see what you mean. I reviewed the lesson again and now see that the outtro is not the same as the intro. I also took stab at the interlude and although it still needs some work, it wasn't as difficult as I recall from watching it the first time.

tovo

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:12 am

Great job man. Kudos.

jayswett

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:07 pm

This is a followup to my original video of this song. Based on the helpful comments I received, I tried to make some changes. They are:

- using metronone. It's way too loud, I know, and I appologize in advance
- keeping my right fourth finger off the pick guard
- using correct fingering for the G chord. I was partially successful with this
- I added the interlude and played the correct outtro. The interlude is a bit shaky.

I promise not to make a habit of using my child to introduce the song. He saw me setting up to make this video and asked me if he could start it off for me. I couldn't bring myself to say No.

One final thing to say is that I realize I have been posting more than my share of videos. I enjoy making them and find that it motivates me to practice. However, I am happy to cut back on these video postings if TG Admin and others think that is appropriate.

BigBear

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:08 pm

Jay- Bingo! You nailed it! Kerry Livgren would be proud!!

Great job! And get a guitar in that son of yours hands! Pretty soon he'll be introducing his own stuff!!

Cheers! :cheer:

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:11 pm

Nice followup, Jay.

I like the idea of revisiting your original videos and posting your progress. I can't speak for Neil & Matt- but I don't see a downside to posting a lot of videos. You're both inspiring other people and helping yourself with TG's feedback. It's a win-win.

BTW- You're right about the metronome. It overpowered the picking sometimes.
:unsure:

tovo

Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:56 am

Jay that's great. I think the follow up is a very useful tool, I can see the improvement. Congrats for keeping the pinkie off the pick guard, you and I have discussed before how much of a change that is. I would also add that I don't think there is a "correct" fingering for a G Chord or any other for that matter. It's about setting yourself up for the smoothest change. That's how I see it anyway, some may disagree. I see absolutely no issue in your son introducing your videos if it makes him happy. I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it. Finally, I agree with Al, I reckon the videos are great and you are certainly not posting "too many" from my point of view. Love them and keep them coming.

Cheers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic