wrench - Across the Universe

wrench

Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:23 pm

OK, here's some work with the metronome on Across the Universe. It isn't perfect, but you can't know how out of whack my timing had gotten. Metronome keeps me honest.

This is my last video shot with a digital camera. The next will be shot with a camcorder, and I hope my improvement by then will be worthy of the upgrade.

Your feedback is welcome; it was very helpful on my first video,and I appreciate it. I hope you even enjoy it just a fraction of how much I enjoy watching all of yours.

wrench

Lavallee

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Very good Wrench, you are following the metronome quite well. I would suggest to change your left hand fingering for the intro. For the first chord (D)rather than using i on F# and m on A# on use m on F# and a and A# . This will allow you to keep the same fingering until the last chord which requires to change the fingering similar to what you start with before the F#m. Look at Neil`s play through it will be clearer than my babling.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:30 pm

Nice Job Wrench! Brave man with a metronome and a pick... both of which I don't use because I find it hard to do! YOu've got me thinking about both.... Thanks for sharing. Chris

Lavallee

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:01 pm

Wrench ignore what I said, I tought you were fingerpicking at the beginning

tovo

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:18 pm

Hey Wrench great stuff mate, sounded pretty clear to me. Really cautiously going to comment on the angle of the guitar (I really want to stress I'm not being critical my comment is as much for me to read the feedback as anything and to check my understanding) as I thought it would help to lower the neck a little?

Great job though man! Kudos to you.

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:37 pm

tovo wrote:
Hey Wrench great stuff mate, sounded pretty clear to me. Really cautiously going to comment on the angle of the guitar (I really want to stress I'm not being critical my comment is as much for me to read the feedback as anything and to check my understanding) as I thought it would help to lower the neck a little?

Great job though man! Kudos to you.
Good job wrench brave doing a vid with the metronome. Tovo, the angle is ok , just look at Classical players, this angle is probably more acceptable (to classical players anyway)than the way most of us hold the guitar. Check Neils position it is maybe not as high but is still raised up as opposed to parallel to floor

terrynewton

Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:39 pm

Wrench--Good job! I liked your left hand position. A lot better then mine. And you kept your right hand moving like Neil suggested when you were not strumming the strings. Timing can be tough---but the metronome will help. I am using it more myself. I thought the angle of your guitar was fine. If it is comfortable then stick with it I say. I look forward to more posts from you. Thanks for posting. B)

jayswett

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Loved the video. This is the second video I've seen with the guitarist using the metronome, and once again, the importance of that device in terms of learning to maintain tempo is clear. I have tried using a metronome in the past but found it difficult and frustrating, but it seems like it is time to try again. Thanks for the inspiration.

wrench

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks to all of you for the positive feedback. I appreciate it. I'm still really eager to see vids from more TG members.

Jay, I learned from working on feedback from my first vid that the trouble I had playing to the metronome came from a nasty little habit I picked up where my right hand was no longer driving the tempo, but rather it was following my left hand. So its back to Beginner Lessons for me, but that's OK, I'll graduate.

tovo

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:10 pm

Chasplaya wrote:

Good job wrench brave doing a vid with the metronome. Tovo, the angle is ok , just look at Classical players, this angle is probably more acceptable (to classical players anyway)than the way most of us hold the guitar. Check Neils position it is maybe not as high but is still raised up as opposed to parallel to floor
Thanks Chas, I've learned something else which is the whole point right? Thanks for the post wrench.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic