Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

jayswett

Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:39 am

Here's a stab at Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. At some point, I'd like to add the interlude and ending, but for now, this is all I've got. Looks to me like my pick-less strumming needs some work.

tovo

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:02 am

Jay let me be the first to say great job. Very nice, looks like my right pinkie and yours are mates as well! ;) Might be work to do on the strumming but who doesn't have work to do? Kudos to you.

mark

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:12 am

Great Job. sounds really good.

I notice that you play only the first bass note with your thumb and then the other notes with your fingers.
Neil recommends playing the first two notes with the thumb. I don't know why he recommends this but there must be a reason.

jayswett

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:19 am

I noticed that as well, but when I tried to play the song that way, it felt un-natural to me. More so than unusual, I should say. I agree that there very likely is a reason why he plays it that way, but the reason remains obscure to me at this point. I will pose it as a question for the next TG Live session, which by the way, I've come to enjoy tremendously. I find myself looking forward to them.

RicksPick

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:39 am

Hi Jay

Nice video dude

Think Neils way of using the thumb for all base notes(strings 4-6) and fingers for first 3 strings, gives dexterity to the thumb, gives the same sound ie a down stroke and tone, Also that sometimes there are two or more bass notes in a row before treble notes.
Now I am a beginner its just what I have picked up from listening, I too am finding it hard to do, my thumb only wants to play its own game lol. :S

Im sure Neil or 1 of the others will chip in here

RicksPick

Lavallee

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:41 am

Hi Jay, good video again. As Mark noted, Neil suggested the thumb doing 2 bases to keep the i, m, a fingers in home position. I cannot remember if there was another reason other than the home position. I am used to do the same fingerpicking sequence as you and find it difficult to change it but I am doing it a little at the time.

Neil also mentionned that in the strumming section on the second chord when it is only down stroke, to hit the higher string once and then only the base strings before going back to the Am.

Marc

jayswett

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 am

Thanks for the comments. I need to take another look at the lesson. As I watch the video again, I'm saddened by the strumming portion. Let's face it, it's awful. Something to work on over the next few days. Thanks again for taking a look.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks for posting Jay! First part sounds strong. You'll get the strumming going with practice. Others will have more technical info for you, my department is motivation: keep posting! ;-)
Chris

nemastetaylor

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Wow, great I loved it. It sounds fantastic. And you don't have to use the Capo like I have to do. I love that song and your playing of it. Good job!!!

AcousticAl

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:11 pm

Good one, Jay- sounds really nice.

This is one that I work on once in a while. Will post a version myself eventually.

I don't know if you're the same as me, but when I play it, I'm tempted to speed up. Slowing down and even using a metronome has helped me with the changes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic