'Nights in White Satin' with melody

jayswett

Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:38 pm

I didn't find Good Riddance to be all that easy, mostly because of the tempo.

helloworld

Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:43 pm

jayswett wrote:
I didn't find Good Riddance to be all that easy, mostly because of the tempo.
Well that's a relief to hear. The tempo is difficult especially since we have to accent certain notes.

mcfingers

Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:03 pm

Hello, I am new to the forums but have been playing for a long time. If you would allow me to make an observation about Al's playing of the song it would first be, only playing it for one day, really! Wow, nice job. My second thought was that, and I have heard Neil say this as well, if you could get your right hand moving a little more in the strum and hold the pick just a bit more loosely it would sound even better. I know it's not easy to do and try to pick out the melody but as was just recently pointed out, stretching your self will only reap real benefits down the line.
BTW, you have inspired me to start learning this classic. I can't believe that I have been such a Moody Blues fan all these years and never had the courage to try and learn one of there songs. Now, since joining TG Target, I am about to start on my third MB song.
Thanks to all of you that post videos. I have to learn how to do that.

Cheers,
Steve

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:20 pm

mcfingers wrote:
Hello, I am new to the forums but have been playing for a long time. If you would allow me to make an observation about Al's playing of the song it would first be, only playing it for one day, really! Wow, nice job. My second thought was that, and I have heard Neil say this as well, if you could get your right hand moving a little more in the strum and hold the pick just a bit more loosely it would sound even better. I know it's not easy to do and try to pick out the melody but as was just recently pointed out, stretching your self will only reap real benefits down the line.
BTW, you have inspired me to start learning this classic. I can't believe that I have been such a Moody Blues fan all these years and never had the courage to try and learn one of there songs. Now, since joining TG Target, I am about to start on my third MB song.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks for the tips, Steve.
You're right about my strumming, and how I hold the pick. I'm actually more comfortable fingerpicking. One of the things I'm working on with strumming is how I hold the pick (amoung other things). I start with it the correct way (between the the 2nd joint of my index finger and thumb). But for whatever reason after I play for a while, the pick wanders to the tips of my fingers and I'm now playing with my thumb, index and middle finger. I feel that if I hold it any looser, it's going to end up in the guitar sound hole or something! It's just something I need to work on.

Anyways, glad you're inspired to try 'Nights'. Look forward to your video.

Al

mcfingers

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:57 pm

Al,
I know exactly what your saying. I too love to finger pick and after landing here found that I was also holding the pick wrong. Just like you, I used the tips of my thumb and first and second fingers to hold the pick. In trying to correct this I feel your pain. I find it hard to not let my other, tucked up fingers, get in the way and hit the strings on the down stroke. Practice, practice, practice eh?

Cheers,
Steve

terrynewton

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Al--I liked the added notes. Of course if we plan on not singing the song we are playing those listening need a little melody to follow for them to really enjoy it or even in some cases to know what the heck we are playing. For only one day of practicing, good job. I like the way you young guys can pick this up so quick--I use to be able to do that. Keep up the hard work and all your great comments. B)

helloworld

Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:52 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
mcfingers wrote:

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks for the tips, Steve.
You're right about my strumming, and how I hold the pick. I'm actually more comfortable fingerpicking. One of the things I'm working on with strumming is how I hold the pick (amoung other things). I start with it the correct way (between the the 2nd joint of my index finger and thumb). But for whatever reason after I play for a while, the pick wanders to the tips of my fingers and I'm now playing with my thumb, index and middle finger. I feel that if I hold it any looser, it's going to end up in the guitar sound hole or something! It's just something I need to work on.

Anyways, glad you're inspired to try 'Nights'. Look forward to your video.

Al
Isnt it strange how the pick does that? I've had them end up completely backwards in my hand and I didn't want to stop playing so I played with the back of the pick! I think at some point I've played with the entire 360 degree perimeter of the pick! It's even ended up in my guitar twice.

I never learned the proper way to hold a pick, I just kind of assumed I was doing it right (still do). I don't remember exactly when it happened, but some time back, the pick just started staying put. I'm not consciously doing anything different, but the pick stays where it's supposed to now. I guess it's like anything; practice makes perfect. It also helps that I went out and got some gator grip picks from Dulop. They're pretty tacky and covered in some kind of powder to absorb moisture from your hand.

My favorite picks so far are cool picks. They have these tacky little rubber dots all over them and stick no matter what. They don't last very long though and they don't sell them in my City (I ordered some online, but ran out).

You might want to check out either of those picks to help you keep a grip on it until it starts sticking on it's own.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic