'Nights in White Satin' with melody

AcousticAl

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:49 pm

I took a page out of Combo's book with this one-- I tried to add the melody while I strummed the chords to 'Nights in White Satin'. I uploaded with a few flubs, but oh well. Only started working on it yesterday. :)

I actually haven't listened to the original in many years, so I hope I have the melody ok.

As usual, constructive comments welcome.

mark

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi Al

Good going.
I have been doing exactly the same thing with this song over the last few weeks.
It's such a good melody along with easy chords that it is a great song to do that with.

You have a much better ear than me. I managed to get the first bit and then resorted to looking at a guitar pro file to get the melody.

AcousticAl

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks Mark.

I actually had a head start on the melody/chord arrangement. I was working on 'Patience' by Guns 'n Roses last week, and funny enough it uses the same chords and has similar melody notes. Wasn't a stretch to use it in this tune.

That's actually what I'm finding the more I start new songs on TG-- you learn something from one that helps you with another one.

goldleaf

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Great job Mark, OK thats it I'm goin to get a video cam, I'm tired of you guys having all the fun. Keep them coming. Gary

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:32 pm

Al my friend, good start on one of my all time favourites! Good job on the melody.
Just two things that may help.
Can you get that pinky working the hammer on, pull off on the D chord more clearly... it really makes the song.
And, as I said, if it really was "Knights in White Satin" they would all look a little gay wouldn't they! But it's Nights as in dark cold and windy out side....!
:silly:

AcousticAl

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:42 pm

That's funny Chris. Wasn't even thinking when I typed it.

(not that there's anything wrong with that) :huh:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:03 pm

I'm the worlds worst speller Al. I write all my post twice and still have to edit them... thank goodness for spell-checkers!! Funny thing, I can spell much better in German than my native language. :side:

reiver

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi Al

Enjoyed your video and thought I'd have a go. Don't know what it is, but seeing other people try stuff makes me want to have a go as well. What's the saying "Monkey see, monkey do". I found it quite tricky 'cos the melody notes are all quite low, some down on the 3rd and even 4th string, if I remember correctly (can't try it now - too late!). I think that this makes it hard to get the melody line to stand out. I tried transposing it and played it starting in Am and found it much easier. It did involve playing an F at the 5th fret (a 2 fingered C shape with a barre to allow your little finger to pick a G on the second string I think) but I found it overall more comfortable. It does mean that you can't play along with the rest of us, of course.

Thanks for posting your video. Wish I had he nerve!

r

reiver

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:26 pm

reiver wrote:
Hi Al

Enjoyed your video and thought I'd have a go. Don't know what it is, but seeing other people try stuff makes me want to have a go as well. What's the saying "Monkey see, monkey do". I found it quite tricky 'cos the melody notes are all quite low, some down on the 3rd and even 4th string, if I remember correctly (can't try it now - too late!). I think that this makes it hard to get the melody line to stand out. I tried transposing it and played it starting in Am and found it much easier. It did involve playing an F at the 5th fret (a 2 fingered C shape with a barre to allow your little finger to pick a G on the second string I think) but I found it overall more comfortable. It does mean that you can't play along with the rest of us, of course.

Thanks for posting your video. Wish I had he nerve!

r
A brief addendum or two

1. I was fingerpicking
2. Only tried it on the verse. Haven't tried the chorus yet

tovo

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:26 pm

Hey Al that was great eh! I'm with reiver, it's really very helpful to be able to watch videos from other members. Hoping to get one up in the not to distant future as well.

Best,

Tony

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic