'Nights in White Satin' with melody

AcousticAl

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:18 am

Thanks Rick. Sorry to hear about your camera/the outlaws.

Andy- I think I just picked the notes when they were supposed to be sung in the song. Anytime there was no singing- I would strum. Trick is to keep your hand moving as if you're strumming the whole time (still working on that).

AcousticAl

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:19 am

Who knew? I just found Neil in a youtube teaser where he does the same thing..
Let me rephrase that-

I just found Neil in a youtube teaser where he plays it correctly!
(I'm just happy what I did was in the ballpark:)

helloworld

Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:17 am

That makes the song like 50 times more recognizable. I never even thought about trying to play this song since the vocals are obviously the most prominent part of the song and there's no way I can wail like the lead singer. By adding the notes, the song becomes so much better.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:28 pm

I admit it! But I thought you'd seen it too and that's why you were working on it Al!

AcousticAl

Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:14 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I admit it! But I thought you'd seen it too and that's why you were working on it Al!

No, I hadn't seen it. Actually glad I didn't see it beforehand, as I might have been scared away from it. Much to live up to..

helloworld

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:37 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

No, I hadn't seen it. Actually glad I didn't see it beforehand, as I might have been scared away from it. Much to live up to..
Yes I agree with that entirely. I'd never thought about playing Nights in White Satin before because I didn't think it would sound recognizable without the vocals. I'm still not thinking of playing it now after seeing Neil, because it seems much too difficult for me!

AcousticAl

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:11 pm

You've got to try songs that are beyond what you're capable of.
That's the only way you'll improve.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:14 pm

What you think is what you get so Al's right hellowworld... at some point you have to try your hand at something that seems too difficult just to see if you're right ....or not!

suziko

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:42 pm

AcousticAl wrote: You've got to try songs that are beyond what you're capable of.
That's the only way you'll improve.

I think I need to print that out and put it on my wall in my office where I practice!

helloworld

Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:34 pm

Of course you guys are totally right on the money. Individual note picking within a strum seems to be one of the most difficult aspects of playing for me. I'm still working on getting the notes of Good Riddance (time of your life) down and I've been working on it for like 1 1/2 weeks. I can strum the song in proper time, pick the notes at about half pace, but individual notes at full speed are a real challenge for me. Perhaps I'll give this song a try after I've mastered the much simpler Good Riddance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic