Who'll Stop the Rain

suziko

Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:24 pm

My beginner's attempt at Who'll Stop the Rain, complete with flubbed notes and B minor chord. I gave up on getting this perfect on video so here it is, warts and all. Thanks to AcousticAl for recommending my "cheater" fingering on the Em chord, which made it so that I could actually (most of the time) play the riff without dulling the G-string. I know Neil will probably not approve. Also, I skipped one verse, to make it less repetitive.

[video type=youtube][/video]

AcousticAl

Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:26 pm

I helped Suzi get this up, so she knows my thoughts on her piece- but again..

I think you did a great job, Suzi! Your strumming is nice and steady once you get going. The barre chord will come with practice.

I watched Neil's lesson again (slowed down vers), and you might want to try to vary your strumming a bit more, and hit the base notes only on some of the 'downs'.

You'll see uploading videos is just like eating chips-- you can't do just one!!

:)

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Doing a good job Suzi! Well done on getting your first video up. AL makes some good comments. Keep it up!

BigBear

Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:22 pm

Suzi- Great job! I can tell you've been practicing! Only comments I'd make is now that you have the song down start working on playing with feeling. CCR had a sort of percussive feel to it where they often really emphasized certain beats, especially the first beat.

And don't forget you don't have to play the Bm barred if that is too hard to get to. You can always play an Am and slide it up one whole step (to the 2nd fret) and fret the F# on the first string. That may be easier to get to quickly. When the barres get easier you can change later.

Thanks for sharing your video! You are really doing great. I didn't realize you had progressed that far! Congrats!

Cheers! :cheer:

jayswett

Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Sounded great, despite your self described warts! I see that you finger the G chord properly, which is something I have yet to master. The transition from G to C seems much more smooth with your fingering than mine. Good thing it's a weekend. More time to work on these things. I hope to see more videos from you. Who, by the way, is that little peanut in your profile photo?

suziko

Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:07 pm

First off, thanks to all of you for your kind comments and suggestions. I honestly really appreciate it. I was nervous about posting anything, because compared to pretty much everyone else who has posted a video, I'm such a beginner. All the same, I think there's a place for every level on TG, and it's nice to have a record of my progress. My plan is to try to post one video each month, that way I can look back on it after a few months and see how much progress I've made.

AcousticAl wrote: I watched Neil's lesson again (slowed down vers), and you might want to try to vary your strumming a bit more, and hit the base notes only on some of the 'downs'.

Great suggestion. In theory, I know this, but clearly don't actually execute it when playing. I'll work harder on that.

BigBear wrote: Only comments I'd make is now that you have the song down start working on playing with feeling. CCR had a sort of percussive feel to it where they often really emphasized certain beats, especially the first beat.

And don't forget you don't have to play the Bm barred if that is too hard to get to. You can always play an Am and slide it up one whole step (to the 2nd fret) and fret the F# on the first string. That may be easier to get to quickly. When the barres get easier you can change later

Once more, with feeling! Yes, I was so nervous about doing this video and (hopefully) hitting most of the notes correctly that I did get a bit zombie-fied. I think I'll also listen to the original and try to capture the rhythm a bit better as I continue to work on the song.

So, if I slide the Am up to the 2nd fret, and fret the F#, do I fret the F# with my thumb wrapped around? I also am just going to keep plugging away at those pesky barre chords. Surely one day I will get them.

jayswett wrote: Who, by the way, is that little peanut in your profile photo?

It's my 7 year old, Emma. She likes to try to "play" my guitar. She also is strangely fascinated by sheet music, so hopefully some day she'll be playing for real. I know I sure wish I'd started when I was younger! Picking this up at 36 is challenging.

tovo

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:11 pm

Hey Suziko, you're an international hit! I can't add beyond what the guys already have. Seems to me it's now just a matter of repetition and you will be pulling out some cool CCR to entertain friends.

Great job and kudos to you for posting.

cosmicmechanic

Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Suzi-

I had a look at your video and added a response to the original post.

Neil

wrench

Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:55 pm

I can't add any tips that haven't been said already, but I can congratulate you on posting your vid. It was kind of a rush wasn't it? Like Tovo said, you're an international star. How cool is that?

Great job! I loved it and I am looking forward to your next one.

wrench

NKenny

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Good job Suzi, you are getting there

Kenny

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic