Brain Damage

jayswett

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:04 pm

I intended, as I prepared to make this video, to keep my fourth finger off the pick guard, but I completely forgot as the camera started rolling. My 7 year old wanted to introduce me.

haoli25

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Karma for the great intro Jay, he was great! I really liked your video, very smooth. You did a great job. Watch that left thumb though, it keeps trying to slip over the top of the neck and screwing up your hand position. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill

wrench

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Another nice job Jay.

The change to the barre chord was noteworthy, and a model for all those who think they'll never be able to this.

the intro had to be great fun for your 7 year old, and I bet it was fun for you, too.

I wish all the non-posters knew how much fun these vids are.

wrench

AcousticAl

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Hey Jay,

Nice job again- really smooth picking. I also like how you carried the picking through the chorus as well.

One thing you might want to double check is right hand fingering. If you watch Neil's right hand close up, he talks about switching from 'home position' to 'shifted position' when necessary depending on what chord you're on. This shift will make you use your ring finger as well. It's hard to tell if you're doing this from how wide the camera shot is. But I'm pretty sure you're not hitting the open A base string while you're on the A7 chord.

You may know that this was the first song that I uploaded in the TG Student Review Section. Neil posted some advice to me/TG there too that you might want to check out.

Again, great video!

Al

tovo

Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:32 am

Great job Jay I really enjoyed your video.

jayswett

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:26 am

wrench wrote:
Another nice job Jay.

The change to the barre chord was noteworthy, and a model for all those who think they'll never be able to this.

the intro had to be great fun for your 7 year old, and I bet it was fun for you, too.

I wish all the non-posters knew how much fun these vids are.

wrench
Regarding the barre cord, I don't always hit those cleanly at this point, but I did manage to do it for this video. The barre cord issue has been hampering my efforts with Dear Prudence.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:31 am

Cute intro Jay... your boy gets top marks as in deed you do. You've got that going really well. Congrats! One suggestion I could make, slowed down a bit it may sound even cooler and smoother. Chris

jayswett

Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:33 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Hey Jay,

Nice job again- really smooth picking. I also like how you carried the picking through the chorus as well.

One thing you might want to double check is right hand fingering. If you watch Neil's right hand close up, he talks about switching from 'home position' to 'shifted position' when necessary depending on what chord you're on. This shift will make you use your ring finger as well. It's hard to tell if you're doing this from how wide the camera shot is. But I'm pretty sure you're not hitting the open A base string while you're on the A7 chord.

You may know that this was the first song that I uploaded in the TG Student Review Section. Neil posted some advice to me/TG there too that you might want to check out.

Again, great video!

Al
I will check out Neil's response to your post. I don't recall having seen it, which is hard to imagine given how much time I spend on this website. As for my right hand fingering, it does appear from the video that I'm not using my ring finger at all. I'm not doing that consciously, but I do need to be comfortable using that ring finger for sure. I am aware of the concept of "home" position vs "shifted" position, but am obviously not following those principles properly. I will look into that today. Thanks for the tips. All very useful.

rcsnydley

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:00 am

Very nice job, jay. And kudos for the intro, especially the t-shirt.

Ric

cabro

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:22 am

Nicely done Jay. Kudos for intro. Since my fingerstyle technique is way worse, I'll offer only 2 suggestions. I agree with that other Chris that maybe you should slow the tempo, and, if you would like to eliminate the string noise when you slide the D Major up to E, try raising your fingers a little higher, that is, don't apply so much pressure during your slide. I was doing the same thing and found that by easing up off the strings a bit more during the slide, the string squeak went almost entirely away.

Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic