House of the Rising Sun

AndyT

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:41 pm

Chas, I'm sorry my friend, but that
Scot video is off topic. No guitar in it! LOL

Tony,
Do you plan on making a followup to your first vid now that you have some comments?

tovo

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:45 pm

Hey Andy. Indeed I do mate. Might even dust off the vocal chords!

AndyT

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:48 pm

Looking forward to it!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:03 am

@reiver:
I have often found when trying to learn a new piece that I get stuck at the same section over and over - repeating the same mistake. As I continue to practice I feel as if I am learning the mistake rather than the correction. If you leave this section your brain can kind of 'reset', and you'll find it easier the next day. Would be interested to hear if others have encountered this.
Something that I learned way back from a guitar friend came from Al Di Meola. Di Meola said that most people repeatedly play the bits they can do well and skip the bits they make mistakes on. He said, he goes back and works on those glitches until they are correct and perfect. I found myself doing that to and it works for me. Slow it down, walk it through, then pick up the pace as it sounds right.

reiver

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:28 am

willem wrote:
reiver wrote:
Did it! The karma police looked away and I swooped. Now where did I put that Glenmorangie......

r
One for you then, but keep carefull and go to your inbox its overloaded!@!!

Than you Willem. I didn't even know that I had an inbox! Apologies to those awaiting a response - I'll get to it ASAP.

r

tovo

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:26 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
@reiver:
I have often found when trying to learn a new piece that I get stuck at the same section over and over - repeating the same mistake. As I continue to practice I feel as if I am learning the mistake rather than the correction. If you leave this section your brain can kind of 'reset', and you'll find it easier the next day. Would be interested to hear if others have encountered this.
Something that I learned way back from a guitar friend came from Al Di Meola. Di Meola said that most people repeatedly play the bits they can do well and skip the bits they make mistakes on. He said, he goes back and works on those glitches until they are correct and perfect. I found myself doing that to and it works for me. Slow it down, walk it through, then pick up the pace as it sounds right.
Chris that sounds like good technique. Reiver I recognised the problem of practicing mistakes when you posted it and agreed. A famous coach I knew liked to say "practice makes perfect is garbage, only perfect practice makes perfect".....he didn't say garbage but there's no need to write what he did say I would get kicked off the site and you get the idea.

Didn't know you had an inbox eh! That explains a lot! :)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:38 pm

"only perfect practice makes perfect".
Let's not forget that making mistakes is part of learning. Being prepared to make mistakes, look for a solution and work on it, is how we progress. Trial and error. Perfect practice is good... what about when I'm not perfect yet? No practice? Don't think so. In sport we look at moving from rough and ready and approximate movements to finer and finer movements, filing away until we have a smooth, developed movement free of inefficient, disturbing movements. I can see perfect practice in that.

tovo

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:11 pm

I'm hearing you Chris and you make sense. I think though that while we will obviously make mistakes in learning if we continue to reinforce bad practice by repetition...well that can't be good in my mind. Isn't that why good instructors will emphasise accuracy over speed in the learning (a relevant example as that's the main weakness I took from my effort here, I put speed ahead of accuracy) Mate I think it's a very interesting subject, there is no doubt a somewhere but happy to discuss it here as I think it's very relevant.

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:35 pm

One point not to be missed is actually identifying mistakes cos if you don't then your practice doesn't help, also acceptance of criticiscm. This is why this opportunity for feedback from other members is so important, not to mention that Neil jumps in from time to time with his bit of gold! (no tuppence worth from him lol)

Also folks that provide feedback/criticiscm should also accept that those receiving have the choice of taking it or leaving it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic