Its the feeling you put into it
Its not robotic it has emotion coming from them there strings
Something I would like to do/work on
Well done

RicksPick

willem

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:35 pm

BigBear wrote:
Willem- Leadbelly didn't write House of the Rising Sun. The original author is unknown and the first recording of it was in 1933. There have been literally thousands of covers of this song, none more famous than The Animals version in 1964.

Regardless, it is a great song and a requirement for all guitarists!

Cheers! :cheer:
SANTE!!! ITS A MUST!! many chords.fingerpicking/plectrum/feelings/i love to strum it like campfiresong..

suziko

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:37 am

Good job, Tovo! You're right, it's best to not wait to post a video until you feel you've "perfected" the song, because you'll never post. And people give such great feedback that it makes it easier to improve upon your technique.

Your finger situation made me think of my favorite "overcoming adversity" guitar-related story (taken mostly from Wikipedia):

Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath, who plays left-handed, lost the tips of the middle and ring finger of his right hand in an "industrial accident." After attempting to learn to play right-handed, Iommi strung his guitars with extra-light strings and wore plastic covers over the two damaged fingers. He fashioned the covers himself, by melting plastic liquid-soap bottles into a ball and then using a soldering iron to make holes into this ball, putting his fingers in while the plastic was still soft enough to be shaped. He then trimmed and sanded away the excess plastic to leave himself with two thimbles, which he then covered with leather, to provide better grip on the strings. Subsequent tips have been custom-made.

So, in short, it could be worse! :)

tovo

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:45 pm

Absolutely Suziko it could be worse I agree completely. It's really not that bad, I only mentioned it because I thought people would think "hey why is that dude's finger sticking up like that?" Cool story you posted as well. I am always inspired by stories of Lindsay Buckingham's fingers bleeding profusely after a concert because he refused to use a pick. That's suffering for your art eh?

heyjoe

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 am

Hey Tovo

Karma to you for putting your video on for all to see. You picked a great song and played it well. I'm with the others, The Animals version is better than the others, and you sure did a fine job.

Well done

Joe

wiley

Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:49 pm

AndyT

Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:25 pm

Tovo,

I was reading lips and you were saying the same prayer I use!
"Lord please let me do a good job of this and not make myself look like an idiot...."
LMBO!

Great job my friend. Forget the finger, we did already. Don't let it slow you down. My favorite version of this song is by Frijid Pink, and I'm going to put yours up there around 4 or 5. (Just because you did not film the whole song.)

tovo

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Hey thanks Joe, I really like the Animals version as well...I can't get into the Leadbelly version at all but it is history which I dig. Andy, I swear I will never mention that wonky digit ever again :)

Wiley, thanks for taking the time to post so much info on a song I really do love. Very interesting. I always thought the song had it's origins in the deep South of the USA, but I also know the origins are cloudy. Those lyrics you posted are pretty cool. John Denver doing House of the Rising Sun!? Amazing!

Cheers guys!

Tony

Lavallee

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Great video Tovo, the next step could be to simulate the original picking but with fingerpicking. Start slowly on the base and the first note and quickly accelerate on the other toward the first string and slow down again on the way back. Try not to play loud when you try to move your fingers quickly to keep them relax. I was given this trick on this site and have been applying it since with some good improvement on agility.

good work

Marc

tovo

Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:23 am

Hey thanks Marc I'll see what I can do in future with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic