House of the Rising Sun

tovo

Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanks heaps Bill. I would encourage other members to post their videos. Getting feedback, tips and encouragement is great stuff.

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:42 pm

tovo wrote:
Thanks Al, I reckon you are a great example of a more experienced player helping others, thanks a lot.

Ric, I think you're right the pain will be worth it in the end. Thanks for commenting.

No problem, Tovo. But I don't see myself as a 'more experienced player'. A 'more experienced poster' than some, perhaps.

B)

willem

Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:48 pm

tovo wrote:
Thanks Jay and Wrench. With respect to my pinkie, I can't do a lot of scale or blues exercises. It's hard to explain but although the finger will bend it angles in so badly that it simply wont touch the strings on the 4th fret. Fortunately I can use it on barre chords without too much hassle. But hey, I'm not complaining. I have seen plenty of great players missing fingers altogether so my problem is minor. There is always a way to overcome.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement guys.
DO you know Django Reinhard, i missed almost two fingers.. b/w nice video,congrat with that..

tovo

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:05 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
tovo wrote:
Thanks Al, I reckon you are a great example of a more experienced player helping others, thanks a lot.

Ric, I think you're right the pain will be worth it in the end. Thanks for commenting.

No problem, Tovo. But I don't see myself as a 'more experienced player'. A 'more experienced poster' than some, perhaps.

B)
I reckon you Canadians are a modest lot Al. But enough praise for you! ;) I think I will revisit it in a couple of weeks, slow it down a touch and try to improve that picking.

Willem, I absolutely agree mate, as I said some amazing players have overcome some real disabilities, I just have a wonky finger!

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:26 pm

That's a good plan (to revisit in a few weeks).

I'm finding that I'll practice a song until I (or my wife:) get tired of it- then I'll move on to something else. After a few weeks, I'll come back to it- and it actually comes easier for me. That just happened with 'Never Going Back', which I played tonight for the first time in about a month. I think you pick up bits and pieces from other songs and file them away for when you need them.

Chris (neverfoundthetime) would know more about that type of learning than me.

BigBear

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Tovo- Great job buddy! I didn't realize that your avatar was really you!! LOL! :silly:

The only comment I'd make is House of the Rising Sun is based on an old blues tune. The blues don't reward a real steady beat and instead flourish when you play them slowly and with feel. You've got the song mastered. Now just try to get that New Orleans blues feel in it. Accent the first beat and then let the arpeggio go up and down until the first beat of the next measure. Think about just the bass notes. The arpeggios just fill in between them!

Thanks for posting! You're doing a great job and that guitar of yours, Oh, Yes, it is a Taylor, sounds wonderful!!

Good on ya, Mate! :cheer:

tovo

Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:40 am

Al I think your advice is perfect mate. I spent a couple of weeks on that song and if I am honest I am a long way from happy with it but I'm just keen to move on to something new. I will go back to it and have another go.

Bear, thanks so much for your comments and advice mate. I think you are right, I need to "feel" the song a bit more rather than race through. This song has such a great history. I'm a huge Dylan fan but I understand it is a very old blues number and he was very cheeky claiming song writing credits for it. New Orleans, man there's a place I have always wanted to visit. I hope they are recovering from the disastrous floods. (btw Bear you're a cheeky bugger! :) I am only green during the day)

willem

Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:10 am

Tovo schreef: [/ b]
[quote] Al denk ik uw advies is perfect mat. Ik heb een paar weken op dat nummer en als ik eerlijk ben Ik ben een lange weg van blij mee, maar ik ben gewoon graag gaan naar iets nieuws. Ik zal terug gaan naar het en nog een keer.

Bear, thanks so much voor uw opmerkingen en adviezen mate. Ik denk dat u gelijk, ik moet "voelen" het nummer een beetje meer dan race door. Dit nummer heeft zo'n grote geschiedenis. Ik ben een enorme fan Dylan, maar ik begrijp het is een zeer oude blues-nummer en hij was zeer brutaal beweert songwriting credits voor. New Orleans, de mens is er een plaats waar ik altijd al wilde bezoeken. Ik hoop dat ze herstellende is van de rampzalige overstromingen. (btw Bear je een brutale donder!:) Ik ben alleen maar groen op tijdens de dag) [/ quote]

How was the name of that man that wrote the ''house'', i know he clapt the bleus and sang with it....?????????????

willem

Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:19 am

A PLAY ALONG SLOWLY..

willem

Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:24 am

i found the MAN it was ''leadbelly''

and god what is that key??

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic