Guitar Magazines, whats your favorite?

jim56

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:09 am

Which is your favorite guitar magazine?
I'd like to subscribe to one but really don't have a clue what's available.

BigBear

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:08 am

jim56 wrote:
Jim- there's really only one decent one left anymore. That's Acoustic Guitar. I subscribed for years but it got so esoteric I couldn't relate anymore. Very high level, diverse playing styles catering to advanced guitarists in my opinion.

Guitar World Acoustic stopped publishing a year or so ago except for an occaisional special edition. They were more like TG than anything else I found. Always had 5 tabs and most were good. They also did really good band profiles. The latest edition was all about each member of C,S,N & Y.

There are a few others out there and I've read them all (I think) but none was even close to worthy of subscribing to.

Good luck and let me know if you find something else out there!

Cheers! :cheer:

rcsnydley

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:01 pm

If you're looking for the high end, check out Fretboard Journal ... great magazine, expensive, comes out quarterly. It's like the Surfboard Journal of guitar magazines: great, long articles, full color glossy pages throughout, and almost no ads (they're loaded up in the front and back, so you don't wade through them as you read). They have articles about musicians, luthiers, historical events, etc. Worth every penny in my book.

For a huge number of articles on exercises new techniques, check out Guitar Techniques. Its a UK magazine, comes with a CD, and is really pretty darn good. It definitely caters more to the electric guitar, but they also have acoustic songs/exercises in it. Its packed with ideas, so it would be impossible to get through all of one every month (unless you don't work 40+/wk I guess) I buy one every few months.

jim56

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:23 pm

fjvdb wrote:
If you're looking for the high end, check out Fretboard Journal ... great magazine, expensive, comes out quarterly. It's like the Surfboard Journal of guitar magazines: great, long articles, full color glossy pages throughout, and almost no ads (they're loaded up in the front and back, so you don't wade through them as you read). They have articles about musicians, luthiers, historical events, etc. Worth every penny in my book.

For a huge number of articles on exercises new techniques, check out Guitar Techniques. Its a UK magazine, comes with a CD, and is really pretty darn good. It definitely caters more to the electric guitar, but they also have acoustic songs/exercises in it. Its packed with ideas, so it would be impossible to get through all of one every month (unless you don't work 40+/wk I guess) I buy one every few months.
Thanks for the lead on that one. I checked out the web page and you are correct. They get $40.00 for the year for 4 issues. That's one I'll wait till I start playing for money. lol

jim56

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:27 pm

BigBear wrote:
jim56 wrote:
Jim- there's really only one decent one left anymore. That's Acoustic Guitar. I subscribed for years but it got so esoteric I couldn't relate anymore. Very high level, diverse playing styles catering to advanced guitarists in my opinion.

Guitar World Acoustic stopped publishing a year or so ago except for an occaisional special edition. They were more like TG than anything else I found. Always had 5 tabs and most were good. They also did really good band profiles. The latest edition was all about each member of C,S,N & Y.

There are a few others out there and I've read them all (I think) but none was even close to worthy of subscribing to.

Good luck and let me know if you find something else out there!

Their web page has content available and the price is right for 12/year. Magazine is probably loaded with adds to get the price lower. Better get one at the store to check it out. Thanks rick.

BigBear

Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:56 pm

jim56 wrote:
Their web page has content available and the price is right for 12/year. Magazine is probably loaded with adds to get the price lower. Better get one at the store to check it out. Thanks rick.

Guitar Center always has them as does Borders and Barnes & Noble. My problem with it was some issues were really good and others weren't worth a spit. I suppose there is only so much you can say about acoustic guitars! lol!

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Hard copy magazines in NZ are expensive so I do the online magazine two I currently subscribe to are:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/

and

http://www.acousticguitarworkshop.com/

And I think this thread/post just might be in the wrong place oops!!

jim56

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:30 pm

ya I noticed that, after the fact, Chas. Any idea how to move it? I PM'd Matt.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi JIm, It can be moved as I was told that would be part of my job as a Moderator, which hasn't happened yet..

So maybe TGJIM can do it dunno really

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Jim I'm glad you asked that question.

I have been receiving Guitar Player for a few years but its hardly the type of magazine for acoustic guitar. I'm real curious as to what others read.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic