My First Video

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:43 am

I had the webradio on at the same time when I first clicked you Andy... you were Shakira for about 10 seconds!!! No kidding! Took me a few secs to work it out. :unsure:

jayswett

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:55 am

If you find yourself playing this song without the accompaniment of the original, I would suggest using a base note/strum technique. That's not the correct term, but what I mean is the technique in which you pluck the base note then strum the chord subsequently. I think that would sound very nice and would add some variation to the piece when playing solo. It's a very nice song, and I look forward to hearing more.

AndyT

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Al,
I used a Canon PowerShot 620 to record the video. It has a built-in microphone but no jack for an external. Too bad. I pulled the memory card from the camera and stuck it directly into my laptop. Easy squeezy transfers.

I did have the original playing in the background softly to help me keep time and so I could hear the song as I played. I thought I had it soft enough so that the camera wouldn't pick it up, but obviously not. LOL

I was doing really good till the camera came on, then I lost the ability to strum. LOL

Arcing my thumb backwards? Never thought of that.

Adding a bass note to my strumming. Yeah, that's an idea. I'll have to work on that one.

I really think most of the flubs were because of camera stress. I tried to ignore it, but not easy to do. I have a new respect for those of us that have put videos up already. Except Al of course... Professionals don't count! LOL (Just kidding Al!) Keep on posting your vids and don't hesitate to inform me of ways to improve.

Chris,
Shakira huh? She has a great voice. I wish I could sing half as well! I still have not found my key. I should work on that. LOL

THANK YOU So much to all of you for your help!

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi Andy,

I have an A560, so I'm semi-familiar with your camera. It's too bad those still cameras' internal mics aren't better- or they don't offer an external mic plugin.

btw- I'm no pro on-camera. I know a bit about video gear but I get the same jitters as you- although they do lessen the more videos you do. So keep posting!

:)

Lavallee

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:41 pm

Hey Andy, Congrats on your video, as Al mentioned, the strumming was a bit hesitant in the first few seconds. Then you got more comfortable and you were putting the emphasis on the first beat when changing chord which made it sound quite good (as oppose to the same volume for each beat).

Very good

Marc

AndyT

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:22 am

Thanks Marc!
I'm practicing for a follow up video in a few days to see how much I can improve from the suggestions I've received.

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:32 am

Hey Andy! Great job getting your clip up, and I thought you did a bang up job! I know I will be nervous when I get my first one shot, so there will be more than one brain-fart on mine to be sure....lol

I am not familiar with the song, but I thought you sounded just fine.

Keep up the good work, and I am sure the nervousness starts to ebb a bit after a while.

Karma to you!

MJ Image

BRBbrb

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:13 am

Karma to you! Pretty chords; like the key it's in. Like your plain version better than the dancey original;)

AndyT

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks you two! You've just made my day!

goldleaf

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:45 pm

Good job Andy, you beat me also to that first vid. I'm spending about an hour a day looking for a mini video cam & there is a couple that are on the market just this month. Kodak z18 and a Q3 forgot the name but supposed to have great built in audio stereo. Saw it at one place on the internet. Keep them coming buddy, you've got it down now. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic