My First Video

AndyT

Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:30 am

Ok you guys. I'm enjoying the adulation but its time for the learning to begin. Comments?

willem

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:55 am

There you are,Andy congrat with your stage..
When i heard the orginal(the one you send to) I would say you must slow down..

Ps i hope your boss can get you want you want,then i can hear you sing, i think it sounds goooooooood!!! Image

Chasplaya

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:13 am

HI ANdy, now that i've listened to the an original version, i'd agree with Willem tempo is a bit fast and I guess its cos your videoing for the first time but I reckon you are trying to hard and a bit tense maybe , I guess i'll find out sometime lol

willem

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:28 am

Chasplaya wrote:
HI ANdy, now that i've listened to the an original version, i'd agree with Willem tempo is a bit fast and I guess its cos your videoing for the first time but I reckon you are trying to hard and a bit tense maybe , I guess i'll find out sometime lol
I guess with Chas,you must losing up and slower,maybe you can find the tempo with the original...of course you where nerves....

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:21 am

Great stuff Preacher man! ".... the only man who could ever teach me, was the son of a preacher man..." you should try that next! Great work on getting this video up. Bear and Chas are still feeding us vague technology excuses (:lol: ) and you're DOING it! Well done.
The complements really help don't they but you're hungry to improve so you need the constructive criticism too. I agree with the idea of slowing down and relaxing the whole show... will sound smother and easier and you'll feel better with it. I know, as I just tried that with my own song, Cold as Gold after the comments. I slowed it way the heck down and played without the "Irish Balalailka" sound produced by the capo at 3. Sounded MUCH better... I'll post it so you can see what happened. Good show Andy!
Karma for posting... er you allowed to use that, as a minister? :lol:

RicksPick

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:47 am

Way to go Andy

Good to see your Video

RicksPick :cheer:

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:50 am

Congrats on your 1st video post Andy! Funny comment about 'blacking out'. I'm sure everyone that has put up a video on here can sympathize. Something just happens when that little red light goes on on the camera!

It was probably those jitters, but your strumming off the top was a little choppy. You stopped up/down motion a couple of times when you skipped/missed a strum. You seemed to even out once the song got going.

Technically- I do wish I could hear your singing and playing better.. there was a lot of hiss. I don't know if I can help, but drop me a pm if you like and tell me what you're recording with and how you get it into your computer. I'll help if I can.

Karma to you!

wrench

Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:50 am

Try keeping the top of your thumb arched backwards. That lets your hand move more freely around the neck for chord changes, and will allow your wrist to more easily roll down into a better hand position. I know you've done a lot of work on hand position, and arching your thumb backward will let you get the most out of that effort. But I also know that if you freeze up a little in front of the camera, it's a natural response to hook the thumb, so if this isn't a chronic problem for you, just blame the director. LOL!

I liked the original version of the playing in the background. A little more musical than a metronome, but not loud enough to be a part of your presentation.

I hear ya' about the director. The director brought an end to some of my better sessions, too. Having put several big flubs on videos, I think the camera actually presents them more kind than we think they are when we make them, and our TG friends lift us through them in a tolerant and forgiving manner.

Good job, my friend. Now you're Preachin' Like A Rock Star! Karma comin' your way.

wrench

jim56

Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:57 am

Bravo Andy. I thought the rhythm was OK. Heard the singing in the background, that makes for a good metronome me thinks! Like playing with Neil on his videos. Still waiting for the Chas and his debut ;-)

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:31 am

Followup to my orig comment-

I didn't realize that you were playing along with the actual song. I thought it was you singing and that I could hardly hear you. That being said, I could hear your strumming ok in the video.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic