Blackbird - update with metronome

jayswett

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:29 pm

I managed to keep the right fourth finger off the pick guard and also managed to play along with the metronome at 94 bpm (for the most part). Still having trouble with minimizing string noise when moving up and down the neck, and I found that the easy G is truly easier for this particular song. I have made some progress with the other fingering for G, though, and will keep working on that.

karl01

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Well done I have been working on this one on and off for a while,

Karl

stratman3

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Very nice, well done. I am working on Blackbird myself, but I do not sound as good as you, but i'm working on it. I think a metronome will be a big help, my next investment.
Once again, nice job.

AcousticAl

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi Jay,

I watched your first video again before watching this one. It was good before- but getting even better! Also really good job keeping up with the metronome.
I didn't find your string noise objectionable.

Question for you-
In measure #9 (Neil's tab), there's a tough change to pick smoothly. You seem to be playing that measure a little differently (easier?) and it still sounds good. What are you hitting there?

RicksPick

Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi Jay

Wonderful

Sweet

Liking it a lot

RicksPick

haoli25

Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Nice job Jay.

Bill Image

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:01 pm

Excellent timing and very smooth nearly all the way through Jay. well done! The squeek on the strings is really hard to avoid... wouldn't worry about it. Karma at you.

bobk35

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Jay,

I too have been working on this piece but I don't have the timing down like you do!

Thanks for sharing.

Bob

wrench

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:06 pm

Jay,

That looked and sounded great!

I can see improvement in your hand position over your earlier vids, and I'd love to hear your comments on how you are holding the guitar.

One thing I think may help on the string noise is arching your thumb backwards. This keeps the tip of the thumb off the neck, which reduces the unintended force on the strings. You may also find it generally easier to move up and down the neck. I don't think Neil actually mentions this, but when you watch his video on squeeze and lift chord drills, he demonstrates the squeezing motion with his thumb arched slightly backward.

A great follow up vid, and thanks for posting. I am looking forward to more of your work, but I am getting anxious to catch up to you.

wrench

jayswett

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:43 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Hi Jay,

I watched your first video again before watching this one. It was good before- but getting even better! Also really good job keeping up with the metronome.
I didn't find your string noise objectionable.

Question for you-
In measure #9 (Neil's tab), there's a tough change to pick smoothly. You seem to be playing that measure a little differently (easier?) and it still sounds good. What are you hitting there?
You are correct in that I do play it differently as recommended by a friend of mine. I was having a hard time doing it the way Neil does it. In the middle of the 9th measure, rather than hitting the strings fretted on 3 and 4, I instead go back to the 2nd and 5th strings fretted on 8 and 7. This is a much easier transition and sounds OK. The purists out there may not like it, but it seems to work reasonably well. I hope that makes sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic