House of the Rising Sun - First Video

regisalumni

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Finally got brave enough to post a short video. Sorry for the poor video and audio, just using my webcam and a very cheap microphone.

Feedback welcome.

haoli25

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:32 pm

Great job Jim! I think we have another good singer in the Forum. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

willem

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:24 am

congrat; do you learn it here on TG??

Chasplaya

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:56 am

Good Job Jim well done. Good looking left hand position smooth changes between chords. Need to work on the Bluesy feel now maybe more accent on first beat of each measure. I can't recall what Neils tab looks like if its all 8th notes then you've got it. A version I've got has 16th notes on the second beat of the measures.

Well done on the singin, you more than likely will never hear me do that , or rather you probably never want to hear me do that lol

tovo

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:59 am

Good job mate, pity about the poor quality as I think you have done a great job of it. Kudos for the singing it sounded good. Your changes all looked very clean from my perspective and I think your tempo was really good also(the video was a bit stilted at least from my end). I'd love to see you do the whole song with a better quality video (I know easier said than done). Well done for posting it.

Cheers,

Tony

BigBear

Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:28 am

Jim- very well done! Excellent arpeggios!

Your right hand position could be turned a little more downward so that you are plucking the strings closer to straight on but you pulled it off well despite that!

There are many ways to play that song but as Chas suggested it needs a bluesy feel to it. It is not a softly played and sung folk song!! IMHO it should have more of a driving sound.

I agree with Chas again that it needs more accent on the first beat of the measure. Don't be afraid to infuse some very brief pauses or delays in between the chord changes so that it doesn't sound mechanical. This is not a song that always rewards a metronome!

Again, great job and thanks for posting!!

Cheers!! :cheer:

AndyT

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:50 am

Great job! And you sing too! I gotta hire a ringer..

Chasplaya

Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:38 am

AndyT wrote:
Great job! And you sing too! I gotta hire a ringer..
Jeez Jim you gotta listen to this, Bear has agreed with me twice now in the history of TG so that gotta mean something lol. More Blues man prove the old adage wrong - white men can sing the Blues

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:43 am

Hey Jim great job on that song! Nice sound coming out of the guitar and great that you sing it too. I agree with Chas's comments. Add that bluesy feel to your singing (which already sounds good) too and it's even better. Good job! Karma your way.

Chasplaya

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:16 am

JIm how remiss of me Karma coming your way

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic