If You Could Read my Mind by neverfoundthetime

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:04 am

Yet again another hit from you. Choice mate!

Hey who does your makeup for these vids they overdo the grey tints and the foundation looks like its put on with a spade.. (you are gonna have some payback fun when I eventually get a vid done lol)

mcfingers

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:20 am

Oh, what memories that song brings back. 1971, I have my Harmony nylon 6 string with me on board the Nuclear submarine I was stationed on.... I see like it was yesterday, just me, my Harmony, a Gordon Lightfoot song book and 90 crazy, depraved sub sailors.... :unsure:

Anyway Chris, you did a smash up job. I am going to resurrect that song and add it to my list.

Well done,
Steve

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:23 am

Many thanks Neil, I love that song as so many people do. Can't wait! I tried it again on the 12 string and the sustain allows me to play it slower (off camera, of course) so I'll remember that. I saw a cover on youtube by Don Williams and his voice is great but I didn't like his slow pace, it doesn't seem slow when GL plays it. Maybe it's the fill ins. Time for a metronome, I guess.

Great list of Lightfoot songs! I'd add Summertime Dream and Spanish Moss. All well worth waiting for.

Thanks Chas, my friend! No make up... was a good summer here... hope yours is on the way! Can't wait for video cameras to be invented in NZ! :-)

Steve many thanks! That song on a sub at the bottom of the ocean far from home.... just can't imagine it!!! What an experience!

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:51 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Many thanks Neil, I love that song as so many people do. Can't wait! I tried it again on the 12 string and the sustain allows me to play it slower (off camera, of course) so I'll remember that. I saw a cover on youtube by Don Williams and his voice is great but I didn't like his slow pace, it doesn't seem slow when GL plays it. Maybe it's the fill ins. Time for a metronome, I guess.

Great list of Lightfoot songs! I'd add Summertime Dream and Spanish Moss. All well worth waiting for.

Thanks Chas, my friend! No make up... was a good summer here... hope yours is on the way! Can't wait for video cameras to be invented in NZ! :-)

Steve many thanks! That song on a sub at the bottom of the ocean far from home.... just can't imagine it!!! What an experience!
Hey man i'm working with Kodak brownies here lol

reiver

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:24 am

Wow Chris. I go away for a couple of days and look what you get up to.

Really enjoyed your version of this classic. WRT the timing, I do think that this song is played surprisingly quickly. You expect it to be slow and ballad-y, but when you listen to GL playing it, it is faster than you remember. I didn't find the tempo that you played it at detracted from the song in any way. Others appear to disagree. Oh well.

I know that I should be making the effort to get a video posted, and every time I see a vid from you I play along (which is great 'cos someone else is taking care of the vocals!), so maybe someday soon. Once I get a Target song mastered, possibly.

In the meantime, keep up the good work - and keep on posting!

Kind regards

r

stratman3

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:40 am

Just watched your vid, Nicely done, Great Job, Great song, I need to learn that song. do you have the tab for the song? Late for work, got to go

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Many thanks Reiver and Stratman! You can't leave the room here... someone will post something interesting! Looks like it was my turn. I don't have TAB for this, in fact I hardly ever use tab as I need to watch and listen first and second. If I get no joy, I'll look out a TAB but it's so slow like that for me. I'm not recommending not using TAB... but I wonder if anyone else has that experience?
You have to point a gun at my head to get me to read a user's manual! It's not a difficult song to play and you can often get away with two fingers instead of full fingering for the chords.

mcfingers

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:56 pm

Chris, I think we have the same learning style. I either learn it from someone else by watching their hands or picking it off an album note for note or chord for chord. I can barely read a TAB. Only if I really study it in depth can I pick out the music. I know they are tremendously handy but, I just haven't gotten the knack of them yet. I think that's one of the things I really appreciate about TG and Neil's in depth lessons. I am always learning more about theory and technique.
Cheers,
Steve

Yamaha48

Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:00 am

Hello Chris.

This is the first time i see this video,stay here more than 3 weeks,hahaha lol.
It sound very good man.
I forgot the name Gordon Light food.
In the 80t,Viola wills, with this tune(disco version).
Here in the Netherlands i find the chords,but it was with a capo on the 2 fred.
Thanks fore share this video my friend.

Greetz Anton

neverfoundthetime

Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:50 pm

Thank you Anton! Gordon Lightfoot is one of my all time favourites, love his songs especially this one. Hope you are progressing well with your hip! Thanks for tuning in!
Gord plays it in same key as me but caped on fret 2.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic