This one's for my wife of 38 years.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Hey good job, nice to dedicate it too.

Your wife must be proud.

Good on ya mate!

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Good going wrench! Nice sound coming out of that guitar (what is it?). Don't know that song but you seem to have it pretty much down. Good job. I'll let the more experienced comment on any technique! How did the Lakewood compare with yours?
Karma for posting. Chris

wrench

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:21 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Good going wrench! Nice sound coming out of that guitar (what is it?). Don't know that song but you seem to have it pretty much down. Good job. I'll let the more experienced comment on any technique! How did the Lakewood compare with yours?
Karma for posting. Chris
The guitar is a Yamaha LJ6. It has an Engelmann Spruce top and Rosewood body and sides. I've only had this guitar 3 or 4 weeks, and exercised the poor judgment to make my last video with it when it was one hour old. I like everything about it, but the sound was underwhelming when brand new. It is improving quickly and starting to sound quite good. I sometimes play it with an L.R. Baggs M1A pickup through an Acoustic AC30 amp, and it sounds quite impressive. This body style is nearly identical to the Lakewood I was admiring, and the species of the tonewoods are the same, but the quality of the tonewoods in the Lakewood was exponentially better. I'm happy with the value of the Yamaha, but it's no Lakewood.

The song is a Greg Lake TARGET tune, and it is TARGET compliant. I've had the fingering for this down for a while, but I learned the picking pattern improperly initially, so I went back to get it right, and honestly, I found it very difficult to pick properly. As with all Greg Lake pieces, I now need to repair my timing.

wrench

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:03 am

Yeah, I guess money talks when it come to Guitar quality. But the Yamaha was sounding good wrench!

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 am

Nice job, Wrench! I'm not familiar with that song, but I'm sure you did it justice with that rendition. I'll be sure to check out the original now.

Your guitar position seems really natural for you (neck up high). Do you find it easier to fret that way? Is the guitar on your lap, or resting on the chair?

wrench

Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks Al.

The song is note for note picked to the TARGET lesson, except for flubs, of course. I found the picking quite difficult because the pattern changes so many times in the song. It changes from arpeggio to cross to alternating several times. I could only play the first verse because of the time limitation of my camera.

Holding the guitar this way? I love it, and yes I feel I can do everything better this way, especially maintaining good hand position and achieving more challenging frettings. I rest my left foot on a small riser, and the waist of the guitar sits on my left leg while the lower bout rests on my right leg. I get the angle of the guitar from the left leg being higher than the right. I can hold both a dreadnought or a jumbo this way with equal ease and comfort. I will point out here that I started playing with a dreadnought, and I very badly suffered for a comfortable way to hold the guitar. I actually was able to start playing and learning only after putting a strap on it, but I haven't used a strap since I started holding the guitar in this fashion. It was pure irony that I figured this out the night before Neil discussed how to hold a guitar in a TG Live presentation. I noticed Jayswett used this position in his last video, too. I can play this way for hours with no fatigue whatsoever, and the guitar is rock solid stable without hand contact.

wrench

stratman3

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 am

Very nicely done Wrench, I love Greg Lakes music, To me, his music sounds like nature, the rain , the wind, GREAT JOB. This one is on my list.

tovo

Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:43 pm

That's cool Wrench you have the raking technique down really well and all the changes looked very solid, I've not heard it before but I liked it. Karma for posting it.

suziko

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Nice job, Wrench! I, too, did not know this song before, but I'm definitely going to go check it out now. And what a sweet dedication; your wife is a lucky woman! Thumbs up!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic