The Needle and the Damage Done

jayswett

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:58 pm

I enjoyed Nemaste's version of this. I'm not as comfortable with a pick in my hand as I'd like to be. I don't hold it correctly and it moves around alot between my fingers which is distracting and annoying. Not sure if you can detect this in the video, but in any case, here it is. It came out better than I thought it would.

AcousticAl

Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Nice steady strumming, Jay. I totally understand (and see) what you mean about the way you hold the pick. I hold mine the same way and it's so hard to change. When I start a song holding it Neil's way (the proper way)- by the end of the song- I'm holding it totally different and wrong. Guess we just have to keep plugging away.

Lavallee

Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:36 pm

Jay , this sounds very good. Regarding the pick, I am not sure if a method is better than another. It all boils down to how confortable you are. At one point, if you feel that the way hold the pick limits you, then it will make sense to modify your position.

Marc

nemastetaylor

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:21 pm

I think it excellent!!!!! Your timing is much better than mine. I like your version of this song. Good job.

willem

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:00 am

JAY!!you came out very good man, i would see you doing over a copple of years,, do you have a song thats not in the target that you like and play very well, i would say,, put it up man just for to inspirate us,,,,,,cheeeeeeeese!!

AndyT

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:37 am

Good job! there is the obvious thumb over the top issue so many of us suffer from. LOL
But for the picks, I never used picks. Did not like them. I couldn't feel the strings with one.
Finally I decided I needed to learn how to use one. It kept sliding all over the place. So I did some experimenting with them. I punched holes in them so I would get finger to finger contact and they would quit sliding around. I finally found a configuration that worked for me. When I went to scan it, I could only find two of my others. Wouldn't you know I'd misplace my good one... LOL Image

AndyT

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:43 am

I found one of my good ones. The separate holes allows good finger to finger while still keeping the pick firmly in your hand. The hole toward the point gives added flexibility to the pick.

tovo

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:53 am

First Jay, good job as usual. Your version has good rhythm and clean changes. I always look forward to your vids. With the pick, you should be encouraged by the fact that so many have trouble with it moving. I hold mine "correctly" but it still moves around so that by the time I finish the song, like Al described, it's backwards, sideways, anyway but how it started. Sometimes I find myself just barely handing onto it. I find this to be the case particularly with more aggressive strumming. Andy's solution looks interesting! Anyway Jay, cool video man. Karma to you my friend.

AndyT

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:58 am

Oh yes! Lets not forget the Karma! Some more for you Jay!

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:43 am

Good job Jay! Really liked that, you get it really swinging. Love your over-the-top thumb... just like mine (mine's even more over the top!) :-). Karma for you!

And when my 6 hours is up, Andy's getting some karma too for those thumb picks! Wild idea Andy.... much smarter than it looks!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic