Old Man by Mark

AcousticAl

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 pm

Hey Mark,

Really nice job! I've been working on this as well since Neil put it up. I really like your strumming for the bulk of the song- but some more palm muting off the top (and any time you play the Dm9) would make it more interesting. If you remember the way Neil described it in the lesson (paraphrasing)- almost hitting/attacking the strings on an angle while muting them on the saddle. I haven't nailed it consistently yet, but I occasionally get it, and it does sound pretty cool.

Your vid calls for some karma!!

Al

willem

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:13 am

MARK!!,GREAT, and everything is already tell you through the other replyers!!! looking forward to your next!!! Image

mark

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:21 am

Lavallee wrote:
Mark, you play very well. If anything I would suggest to put more emphasis on the string muting, maybe a little more percusive.

great job

Marc
Yes I think you nailed it.
I've watched some cover versions on youTube and some are much more percussive, really pounding away on those strings.

Gives me something to work on

mark

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:29 am

fjvdb wrote:
I'm also working on this song. I think you sound great ... as usual. Great rhythm, and your picking is really clean. The clear picking is something I struggle with. In particular, for some reason I have hard time with the bass walk up at the end of the verse before the chorus from G up to A ... I always botch it. You nailed it all.

The only thing I'd recommend is to look at some of the vids of Neil Young playing on YouTube: the one live at Massey in 1971 is great. The reason is that it really shows how Neil puts the song together -- e.g., when he moves from chorus to verse vs. chorus to intro -- his rhythm, how he accents certain passages, when he does the full melody picking, etc. He ends the song really nicely in that vid as well.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, you are rockin' it.
Thanks for the youtube video suggestion.
It's really helpful watching that. He varies how he mutes when he goes between different sections.
Heavy muting on the intro and verses and much less on the chorus. Gives it a bit of light and shade.

RicksPick

Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:38 pm

Wow well done Mark

Can't advise

Just sounded so nice to me.

RicksPick

mike_t57

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:35 pm

Great Job Mark! Sounded very good to me.

Mike

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:13 pm

You must be pretty happy with that rendition. You are quite right though getting the feel is the thing, the percusive effect and the muting are difficult to emulate, and sustain for the whole song, I know I have problems getting it right. Two good covers on You Tube are by All1song and Klaudyk. Both do justice to many neil Young covers.

BobR

Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Mark, sounds real good to me. I have been wanting to learn that song but I am still working on My My hey hey. I need to stick to one and get it down. Hopefully I'll get the guts to post something.

Great job
Bob

stratman3

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:53 pm

Mark,
GREAT job, this is one of the songs I am working on right now. Looks to me like you got it down. I don't see anything wrong with it, again Great job, your right the "feel". Some day I will be there. B)

nemastetaylor

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:21 pm

Wow, excellent. Are you sure that wasn't Neil Young playing Old Man?? I loved your Cat's added sound effects. I sure hope one day I can play this song as well as you do. I am very impressed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic