QUESTION by neverfoundthetime

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:22 am

I know this not (yet) a TARGET song. If I win one of those competitions, maybe it will be, one day. I know I said Fire and Rain would be my next posting but that is going to take quite some time yet! Just got the intro sorted so far. Jay's posting have got me working on Scarborough Fair and Al's has me thinking about Never Going Back Again. On Still the Same I've got the playing down but not yet the singing... that's a first for me. The song was new to me before Neil posted it. I have also got the dreaded barred F down perfectly by now. And all this work has rubbed of on my ability to play Question which is a real soul song for me. My thumb is still sticking out on this one but I have more playing confidence now. This is not an easy song to push through to the end because the barring on the open chords on 12 strings really gets to my fingers towards the end of the song. I shortened the end so as not to overload your listening! It took 2 takes to get down. The first was 5 seconds long before I stopped due to a major blunder. The second take worked and I just kept playing through a couple of fretting fluffs. Sorry it's a bit dark but it's a lovely sunny day and the background was too light. Posting really is the best part of the fun here at TG. Hope more join the club soon. Anyone else playing this song or anything on a 12 string in open tuning? Let me know what you think!

jayswett

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:30 am

With the exception of Cold as Gold, I enjoyed this video more than any other so far. I love that 12 string guitar, but the singing was just fantastic. Very nicely done.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:01 pm

Many thanks Jay! Too kind! Been working on that for along time. Never thought I'd be able to play a song like that all the way through without back up. Really picks me up to play it now. Just have to re-tune the 12 string all the time ;-(

jayswett

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:27 pm

That was a five minute video. I don't think I've ever played continuously for five minutes without stopping to redo or correct something.

suziko

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Wow, that is a work-out of a song! A real challenge, not just in length but with all of those barre chords. I'm impressed! It's one of my favorite Moody Blue's songs, too, so it was nice for me personally in that respect. And, of course, your singing is always a bonus for us! Very well done, Chris! Karma to you!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:45 pm

Thank you Suzi! Yes it is a real work out. Glad I shortened it there! Justin Hayward is playing that with 16ths I believe, he really hammers it out very fast. No way can I do that. I'm just very happy to be able to get some form of it down that actually works for me. ;-)

And Jay, I made about 4 mistakes grabbing the wrong chord slightly or completely but I find if you just keep going it doesn't matter that much. Import to get through the song.

willem

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:46 pm

It's A WINNER Chris, very good done,i think you can join the MB...

maybe one critical when you strum and hit the strings i think you must be aware of the angle of the pick,,but hit me when i'm wrong....

haoli25

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Another winner Chris!!!! I think Justin Hayward would be very pleased with not only your playing but your singing too. That is a tough song in both areas! As a huge Moody Blues fan, keep 'em coming. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:49 pm

Thank you Willem! well I wasn't using a pick just my fingers. I can't use a pick very well yet. Maybe that's a good suggestion for me to get that song done with one so that I can get a cleaner sound out of the guitar. BUt you probably noticed at the end my fingers were tired and I could hardly hold the barre down any more! Swiss Cheeeeeze! ;-)

Thanks Bill. I have been a MB fan for 35 years and I have always wanted to play that song. Been trying for a long time. Now it seems to be working. A little confidence goes a long way sometimes. Thanks for tuning in Bill!

mmmbldo

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:01 pm

I think you did very well with the pick...nice light touch. Nice singing, too!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic