Are We Killing Ourselves?

mark

Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:55 am

I agree with everything in this thread. I certainly have been guilty of putting up my best take which doesn't really reflect my true ability.

I think people will get the most from uploading videos which the other members can help to improve. That's why I uploaded my version of old Man and the members comments have helped me try and improve my playing of that song.

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:45 pm

Like Nike says;
Just do it.

AcousticAl

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:47 pm

I just put up my WORST take of 'Old Man' on Suzi's wall. Sounded like she needed a laugh, and I was happy to oblige..

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:45 pm

Al, Not sure if that's brave or crazy. Have to think on that one for a bit....

dennisg

Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate here, keeping in mind that I'm an absolutely crappy guitar player. If I'm able to improve on a performance, it's because I recognize my mistakes, and I correct them. Why would I want to post a video that has mistakes I'm able to both recognize and fix on my own? That doesn't seem like the kind of thing I need feedback on.

No, I'm not going to sit and do 40 takes of a song, although I would assert that it's probably good practice to do so. But I can imagine doing maybe 10 takes, and posting the best one.

- Dennis (continuing to ponder my soundhole)

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:29 pm

Dennis, As you meditate upon your soundhole, you will come to realize a new understanding of the whichness of the why. At that point you will be ready to snatch the pebbles from Bears paws and it will be time for your first video posting.

tovo

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:12 pm

dennisg wrote:
Okay, I'll play devil's advocate here, keeping in mind that I'm an absolutely crappy guitar player. If I'm able to improve on a performance, it's because I recognize my mistakes, and I correct them. Why would I want to post a video that has mistakes I'm able to both recognize and fix on my own? That doesn't seem like the kind of thing I need feedback on.

No, I'm not going to sit and do 40 takes of a song, although I would assert that it's probably good practice to do so. But I can imagine doing maybe 10 takes, and posting the best one.

- Dennis (continuing to ponder my soundhole)
Dennis I'm always a big fan of the Devil's advocate and I like your alternate view, what you say makes good sense.

"pondering my soundhole" :laugh: karma for that one!

AndyT

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:34 pm

In my line, Devil's advocate is never a good job description....

BigBear

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:15 pm

AndyT wrote:
In my line, Devil's advocate is never a good job description....

I came up with about a dozen responses to that one but I would have to blow my newly discovered PC correctness!! Bah-hah-hah! :lol:

AndyT

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:39 am

Bear PC? With that tagline?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic