Are We Killing Ourselves?

BigBear

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:25 pm

I just read Michele's Performance Anxiety thread and I am wondering if we are missing the point a little bit? We are all working so hard to post the "perfect" song perfromance that what we post isn't really indicative of the way we typically play the song. If we were at a coffee house or a jam session we don't get 37 tries to get it right! Warm up and sit down and play it.

I'm just as guilty as any of us because I want to post perfection so that my fellow members go "Ooh" and "Aah" but doesn't that defeat the purpose of showing the challenges and not the successes? If we upload our near misses Neil may get a better feel for what we could do better. Plus we might not be so anxious about recording into a camcorder.

Would anyone here be less supportive if we posted a less than perfect video in the hope of getting some coaching? I think this may have more value in the long run. What do you folks think?

:cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:36 pm

You are spot on Bear. I hope no one tries to be too perfect when producing their video. Just show where you're at now, warts an' all and you'll get the best feedback. I only re-take if I completely mess up the song or get lost but not if there are just "normal" stuff-ups on a chord placement or fingering. Mostly it's been first or second take and that's where I'm at. The fun factor is so big on posting, no need to kill yourself!!

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:50 pm

BigBear wrote:
I just read Michele's Performance Anxiety thread and I am wondering if we are missing the point a little bit? We are all working so hard to post the "perfect" song perfromance that what we post isn't really indicative of the way we typically play the song. If we were at a coffee house or a jam session we don't get 37 tries to get it right! Warm up and sit down and play it.

I'm just as guilty as any of us because I want to post perfection so that my fellow members go "Ooh" and "Aah" but doesn't that defeat the purpose of showing the challenges and not the successes? If we upload our near misses Neil may get a better feel for what we could do better. Plus we might not be so anxious about recording into a camcorder.

Would anyone here be less supportive if we posted a less than perfect video in the hope of getting some coaching? I think this may have more value in the long run. What do you folks think?

:cheer:
Good post Rick, this could help set the scene for those of us who may need more work on our playing. Like building up the 'alibi' Like ' Well I told you I wasn't as good as you thought. heres the proof!'

__m__

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:20 pm

BigBear wrote:
I'm just as guilty as any of us because I want to post perfection so that my fellow members go "Ooh" and "Aah" but doesn't that defeat the purpose of showing the challenges and not the successes?

That's really funny because I was just thinking, "I'm gonna rock this song then post it and everyone will think I'm really good."

:huh:

Thank you for squashing that before allowing me to do such a thing. B)

jayswett

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:30 pm

I am guilty of wanting to post a video that generally speaking is better than what I could normally play. I agree with what you and others have said, Bear. No more of that coming from me.

AndyT

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:09 pm

I am in agreement with you Rick. On the other hand, all that practicing to get it right has to pay off anyway. So the best would be a combination of the two. Practice it till you feel OK about it and then record it first time through.

tovo

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:17 pm

I enjoyed the experience of posting a 1st video and got a lot of confidence from the positive feedback. I knew it was far from perfect and said so but as the guys here have said, nobody ridiculed me or said it was terrible, I got encouragement and some good tips. (Plus the kindly Bear pointed out how closely I resemble my Avatar...which I already knew :) ) I think it's a great feature of the site and very worthwhile. Don't know when I will post another but I absolutely agree that waiting for perfect is a bit pointless. Obviously we all want to post a decent take of the particular song but it's more about showing your progress than impressing with your faultless playing. I must say however that we do have a couple of stand-out players who post and I am inspired by their skills not jealous of them.

wrench

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Guys, I've said it before and I'm saying it again - shoot it and post.

The TG community came to life as a really friendly place, and you guys really can't know all the sincerity of friendship and brotherhood to be found here until you post a video. Then you will know.

I offer you this advice for first videos:
Don't use a guitar you owned for just one hour
Don't record a song that you just that moment got right
Play a song you do well
Play your favorite guitar
Relax and have fun
Shoot it and post

Then feel the friendship, respect, and joy of this unlikely international family.

wrench

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Then feel the friendship, respect, and joy of this unlikely international family.
wrench
Listen to the man folks! So true.

goldleaf

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Sounds right on to me. I think we give it our best shot (after reasonable practice) and let be what it is. We post more and don't put as much pressure on ourselves, plus everyone gets to see an accurate picture and can offer good input. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic