Blackbird - Michelew - my very first video EVER

goldleaf

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:10 pm

michelew wrote:
I've decided to take the advice of you sweet folk and just post a video, without worrying about getting it to the level that I'd prefer it to be at. Lots of you helped me to get over my performance anxiety - you know who you are - a big thank you. There is a lot about my performance (and video) that needs improvement - not the least of which is learning how to use iMovie and getting myself a microphone. The sound is really crappy as I've just used the mic that is built into my mac. But, I figure it is a start and will help me to see how (and whether) I'm improving and you guys to give me feedback on the things that I can work on to improve.

I'm very nervous - hence the grim expression. I'm working on heaps of things including the angle of my right hand, making my notes more consistent in volume and length and trying to relax and just enjoy playing. One day I'd like to be able to sing the lyrics, but that day is not today - that day won't be for a long time I suspect.

Chris - thanks - your karma point actually inspired me to post too, I had to pay you back by plucking up the courage.

Here it is.

Thanks

Michele, great job on Blackbird and your first video post. I just completed my first video post (Harvest Moon). It' a good feeling (relief) to complete one of my TG goals. Good work & now I'll have to learn finger picking so I can play Blackbird, that is another TG goal of mine (always loved that song). I would never have thought I would be making a video post a couple months ago. Good for both of us. Gary

Michele

Lavallee

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:22 pm

That video was excellent, Michele. That was very smart to do your first video at a slower pace, it did remove the the tension in left hand. I notices that eyes were ahead of your hand,. You seem to visualizae on the fret where your fingers will land, this is very good.

Marc

michelew

Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:31 am

Thanks guys.

Wrench - superstar? LOL - yeh right!

Music Junkie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:47 am

Wow, that was a beautiful rendition. I think that anyone who appreciates Blackbird would really enjoy hearing you play. Not necessarily for overwhelming amazing and impeccably mad guitar skills, though your guitar picking is really good. But for the heart felt sincerity and grace that you played with. That's what makes a song "beautiful", and that would probably have been lost if you tried to rush your self and push too hard.

I only have 2 suggestions. First, keep working on relaxing and being your self more, until your sincerity and love of the song you are playing shows in your face, body language, presence... And the other suggestion is something I'm working on for my self. I need to tilt my right hand a little more so that my thumb and index finger don't collide when picking adjacent strings.

Again, that was beautiful, impressive, sweet and a little sad ("as the composer intended"), and really nice. But then, courage and grace are often like that...

Peace be the journey,
Wilson

michelew

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:00 am

Thanks for your advice Wilson and the sweet comments. I'm working on the angle of my right hand and I've had such supportive responses to this posting that I'm sure I'll be able to relax more for the next one - we;; a bit anyway. THanks Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic