Babe I' m gonna leave you , Marc

nemastetaylor

Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:12 am

Yeah, well I have long fingernails. I also think its the angle of the wrist which allows you fingers to do the picking right on the tips. I have more of a claw fingerpicking, which I am trying slowly to change without causing my thumb to get tendonitis. I do notice if I can not do the claw then the strings ring out more.

Nemaste

Chasplaya

Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:17 am

I just watched Zep playing this and in all honesty your intro was better than pages, yet again I think page was stoned lol! Nevertheless your intro and picking was cleaner than his. he was playing a Fender tele of all things not his signature LP.

So good on ya mate.

AcousticAl

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:02 am

Hey Marc!

Nice job with 'Babe' (from a fellow 'Babe' poster)!!
You obviously have the picking pattern down and the song flows really well.

Really liked the ending and would like to get the tab from you if possible-- I'll pm you.

Someone else mentioned this- but you might want to check your strumming pattern. Is there a missing beat? An extra beat? Can't put my finger on it yet-- the timing might actually be changing there.

Really nice job! (and thanks for your camera review in the Tech Group:)

Al

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:52 am

Really good job on that song Marc! Great picking and accentuation. One take eh, that's the way to do it! Other's have said that it's the strumming that needs a little work, I'd agree with that. It's not so easy moving between picking and strumming and back again so all in all, very well done! Karma your way for an excellent post.

Lavallee

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:25 am

Nemaste, to go around the claw,I hold the fret board pretty high (closer to a classical position). That way, my right hand comes naturally in a straighter line with my forearm and more perpendicular to the strings, minimizing having to bend my wrist. It helps having the fingers more relaxed so rather than holding them curved like a claw they are hanging down straight (it feels that way anyway). However if I work on a faster finger picking pattern like dust in the wind, the claw comes back in the middle of the song and I strart tripping on some strings. But that said this might apply to my body, because if you look at Neil who is way taller than I, his fret board is much lower than mine and you see is fingers are straight when finger picking. This could actually be a good question for TG live.

Marc

Lavallee

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:30 am

Chas, remind me to send you a check.. intro better than Page, right.... :)

Marc

Lavallee

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:46 am

Hi Al, thanks for the comments. The strumming seems to be missing a beat, I agree but it seems to the way they play it. I was trying to follow the song from an mp3 while playing it, and that strumming pattern had elude me for a while, it seems that if I do the full measure of strumming, I was always late on the first Am chord. I think that as Neil showed in the lesson, on the third chord, at the 6 and 7th fret , he was saying to hit the high strings only twice and then only the bass notes for the remaining of the chord. This allows you to go back to the Am still hitting the strings giving some off beat strumming (even though Neil does not miss that beat). Try it (play the song while you hear the original) you will see what I mean.

Marc

suziko

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am

Marc, C'etait tres bien fait! I can't add any constructive criticism to what has already been said. It sounded great to me- the picking was very steady and the notes very clear and true. Plus the whole thing just flowed so well together. I loved the outro. All in all, very inspiring! Karma to you!

Lavallee

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:58 am

Thanks Chris for the comments. I only took one take because I have been practicing the song 3-4 times a day for the last 2 month (mainly changing the finger position that Neil was showing) and I knew it before but not correctly, I did not mean to brag, that practice eventually kicks in. Plus it was my second video so I was not as concerned to play it perfectly as the first video (much more tensed), being more relaxed.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:02 am

I know exactly what you mean Marc. I think going for just the one take and just letting it come out as it does is the right way to post a video. With the practice behind you it will work out well.... but there is always the extra tension caused by the camera... find it best just to ignore it and accept what comes. Any way, it was an excellent job!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic