Down and Out - first target video post

captainkdp

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:58 pm

Any tips or feedback folks?. Having some trouble with hitting all the wierd chords. Practice, practice, practice...

__m__

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:02 pm

I'm no expert, as I'm learning to fingerpick myself, but Neil says not to anchor your pinky when fingerpicking.

As far as the chords go, The video has your left hand mostly cut off, I can't really tell...

Kudos for first video post! That's more than I can say, still haven't posted one myself.

TGNesh

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Nice. This song always reminds me of my uncle who used to play it when I was a kid. Thanks for that. I'd be interested in the chord progression!

You sound solid to me, and like your getting really into the feel of the song.

I'll share what I do when I'm at the stage with a song like where you are with this one: I slow it down quite a bit to where I can stay more or less in time and still make the chord changes. If there are particular chord switches that trip me up, I'll play just a few measures around that chord transition in a loop until I can play that smoothly-ish. :) Then I'll tack on a couple more measures and play that longer loop, etc. Eventually, you'll have some handful of loops, smooth on their own, and when tied all together BAM you gots a song.

Thanks for sharing this one, you're sounding really good.

Lavallee

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:11 pm

There you go Captain, the ice is broken. Congratulation on the video. I would suggest to slow down a bit so there is no pause when changing chords and gradually increase the speed. If the chords are tough , maybe you could alternate the chords without finger picking just to focus on the chord changes themselves.

Marc

captainkdp

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:16 pm

"Neil says not to anchor your pinky when fingerpicking" - Yea, I know that is a habit that might be hard to break. Just started finger picking and I get outta position if I don't anchor....
will have to work on camera position too. Thanks for the feedback.

captainkdp

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 pm

fjvdb wrote:
I'll play just a few measures around that chord transition in a loop until I can play that smoothly-ish. :) Then I'll tack on a couple more measures and play that longer loop, etc. Eventually, you'll have some handful of loops, smooth on their own, and when tied all together BAM you gots a song.
Good advice - will try it. Thanks! ;)

Lavallee

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:23 am

I was little too late saying the same thing :laugh:
Marc

tovo

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:23 am

Hi mate, good on ya for posting. By way of further encouragement, I needed to break the habit of anchoring when finger-picking and with some effort it's really not that hard. Once you put in enough practice without anchoring it will feel quite natural and it is worth the effort to break the habit as early as possible.

Karma for the post!

jayswett

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:42 am

I agree with Tovo that breaking the habit of anchoring the right pinky finger is not that hard, and I now prefer that method as taught by Neil. Having said that, I don't think it's incredibly important and would not focus too much time on that until your right hand fingerpicking movements are almost automatic. That will come very quickly for you, I'm sure, based on what I just witnessed on your video. I love that song and am glad you posted it for the enjoyment of your TG brothers and sisters. Nicely done.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:59 am

Well done Captain! Great job on joining the video posters! Those before me have said it all. Good luck on that pinky! Karma will be coming your way when I'm recharged.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic