Blackbird

heyjoe

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi all

I just decided to do this one, for a few reasons, its been in my practice routine for quite a while, as its such a good song, and I think its about time I did a new video to see if all the practicing is making any difference.

This took me about 5 minutes to put together, I hit the record button and just kept playing until I got all the way through, after a few false starts I came away with this. I haven't touched a guitar for 4 days, just picked it up and played this.

I've already noticed a couple of things which need correcting...need to use 3rd finger for G on the E string...which I have been doing all the other times I played it...isn't it amazing what happens when you record yourself.

It's also the first time I've tried to play, record and use a metronome at the same time. Metronome was set for 90 bpm, you can't hear it as I have guitar going into laptop.

Let me know what you think please.

Thanks

mark

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:11 pm

Hey Joe
I can't get your video to play past the first 17 seconds.

However I can already tell that you have made a lot of progress.
Your early videos had problems with keeping a steady tempo but on this you are right on time with the metronome on this video.

Karma to you

heyjoe

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi Mark

I've checked it out, and I think its just slow loading from youtube, it took me a few minutes to get it sorted out, but it should be ok now.

Thanks for the karma, it makes listening and practising with a metronome worthwhile

Joe

wiley

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:30 pm

Hey Joe,

I play a Yamaha APX900 and you are getting some really good sound out of your guitar... (APX500 ???) And I've been working on getting my right hand position under control, but you look like you have that down!

And check out Michele's first video on Blackbird:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/86- ... video-ever

I think her performance conveys more depth and feeling, but your guitar playing is better. And when you can add that to your performance, you'll REALLY have something. But it's a really smooth and impressive performance... Well done!

Peace,
Wilson

Yamaha48

Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:04 pm

Hello Joe.

Good work man,nice flow over the fred board.
And it sounds pretty.
Is your guitar a Yamaha Apx700?.

Greetz Anton

Ps.One carma for you my friend

AcousticAl

Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:36 pm

Joe! Nice to see you posting videos again.

You can really see an improvement from your earlier videos- you can tell you've been disciplined with practicing. The changes in Blackbird are tough to nail and get to quickly, and you did a good job of not buzzing/missing notes.

My only comment is that your fingering is the same way I play it- which is different from the way Neil plays it. He doesn't use his index finger at all-- just alternates the base note with his thumb. I'm going to come back to this song eventually and see how difficult it will be to change this. I remember a post/question on this way back when and there was a reason for it. Can't remember what it was right now. I'm sure someone else will dig it up.

Anyways- good job, and karma for re-surfacing!

Al

BigBear

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:06 pm

Wow Joe, have you been practicing or what? You keep playing like that and we'll start calling you Mark!!

Excellent timing and I really like the relaxed position of your left hand. That makes your chord changes smooth. Your right hand could be turned down a little but you pull the song off without a hitch so it's obviously not a problem!

Jolly well done!! Can't wait for the next one!!

I do have one complaint though. You are not nearly as good looking as the babe you had in your last avatar!! rofl!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Hey Joe that was cool. Al and Co have covered the tips really well, I don't feel very comfortable to offer tips yet but I thought it was smooth and sounded the goods too me. I found your last avatar very distracting so kinda glad you changed! ;)

Karma for you mate.

AndyT

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:38 pm

You folks are just getting way too good. I've got to practice or Neil's gonna flog me. Great job Joe! The metronome pays off!

jayswett

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:02 pm

Not much to say about that other than Well Done. You played a great song very well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic