Blackbird

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Can't get the video to play Joe ;-(

Yamaha48

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:51 pm

AndyT wrote:
You folks are just getting way too good. I've got to practice or Neil's gonna flog me. Great job Joe! The metronome pays off!
I'm new here, and I'm very encouraged to see so many guitarists learning to play so well from the lessons, live interaction, and forum. And if you don't step up, I'll be making you look bad next! So 'practice not. Do, or do not. There is no "try"...' LOL

Yamaha48

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:03 pm

AndyT wrote:
You folks are just getting way too good. I've got to practice or Neil's gonna flog me. Great job Joe! The metronome pays off!
I'm new here, and I'm very encouraged to see so many guitarists learning to play so well from the lessons, live interaction, and forum. And if you don't step up, I'll be making you look bad next! So 'practice not. Do, or do not. There is no "try"...' LOL

willem

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Karma for you Joe,i know how though the song is,you did very good in what you did.
One question,, why don't you have played the whole song,,,the intro for example and there is a moment of silence in it where you again slide to the G and go for the last couplet,,why you didn't......???

wrench

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:55 pm

HeyJoe,

Sounds great, and I must say you make it look easy.

You have obviously been practicing hard, but I'd say you are practicing the right things, too. I may dig back through the thread on practice routines to review your post.

Great job, and I'm looking forward to your next vid.

wrench

heyjoe

Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:55 am

Hi guys

Thanks very much for the positive feedback, it makes me want to practice even more. I'm thankful that the time I have spent with a metronome is starting to show.

For those who asked about my guitar, its a Yamaha APX500. In terms of sound, I'm using phosphor bronze strings on it, and have a line running from the guitar straight into my laptop, and I record using the webcam. I spent a lot of time adjusting the settings on the guitar( it being an electric acoustic) to get the sound I wanted.

In terms of feel, I'm mainly concerned with the technicalities of the song at the moment, getting the timing and the changes correct, I know the feeling will come with time and repeated playing of the tune.

Willem, I'm playing the song according to Neil's tab, not the beatles version, its the first song I've played through according to the tab, I watched Neil's video and worked out all the sections as he played them, as he says somewhere, its how he plays it, not how Paul McCartney plays it, hope that helps.

Thanks for all the Karma too guys, it feels really good to know all the hard work is paying off. Time to work on the next song..which is....well, I'll let you know when I post the video, time to go practice.

Thanks

Joe

suziko

Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:07 am

Joe- I missed that you'd posted this yesterday because I was so focused on my own video- oops and sorry!

This is the first video of yours I've seen. From what all the previous commenters have said, it sounds like you've really improved in your playing. I'll have to go back and watch your previous vids. As for this one, I thought it sounded great. You looked really comfortable playing it, and you nailed the rhythm. It looks like a tough song, too! Not one I'll be tackling any time soon :)

Karma for you, my friend!

Lavallee

Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:19 am

Same for me Joe, I missed when you entered your video. Quite an improvement from the previous one. I think it sounds perfect, you left hand is always ready for the next chord, your beat looks constant. I think you got that one cornered.

Marc

heyjoe

Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:35 am

Thanks guys

Marc, it took a lot of practice to get the song like that, so I'm glad you can see the improvement- its one I'm going to keep playing, mainly to get the feel.

Suzi, no worries about not seeing my first 2 videos, they were stairway to heaven, and part of classical gas, they are right at the start of the student video channel on youtube, and on here too. In terms of difference, a few minor changes- timing is better, hand position, body posture, I'm more relaxed. I look at the difference now and I'm glad I found this site! Well done you for posting your video, its a scary thing to do at first.

There will be more video's in due course, I'm working on a few songs, but haven't got them sounding right yet, as soon as I'm happy with them, then they'll appear.

Thanks for the karma too

joe

Lavallee

Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:01 am

A you said Joe it takes alot of practice to put it on the video. Knowing that you will post, you want to work out all aspect of your playing. If we only play for ourselves, we will accept to be a little sloppy, but knowing that you will post, you will work harder and that makes us moving forward.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic