'Needle & the Damage Done' by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:05 pm

I wanted to record this song for Suzi- in the hopes that she doesn't totally give up on learning this song. She also thought she was incorrectly accenting the upbeats when she played it. I think I do the same thing- but it sounds ok imho.

Comments welcome.

Al

goldleaf

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Way to go Al. Nice strumming and timeing. Always liked that song but I'll have to wait for a video of it since you just did an excellent job of playing it. Gary

jayswett

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:47 pm

I agree that this is well within Suzi's abilities and I hope to see another video from her soon. Nice job again, Al, on this video. You seem as comfortable with a pick in your hand as without. As always, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

AcousticAl

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:31 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Way to go Al. Nice strumming and timeing. Always liked that song but I'll have to wait for a video of it since you just did an excellent job of playing it. Gary

Thanks Gary- but I'd like to suggest a different way of looking at things. The fact that you think I play this better than you think you can should not be a barrier to you posting your version. There will always be someone who can play it better- as I'm sure someone else will improve on mine (Hi Mark!) :). You should post your version to GET better yourself.

Anyways, glad you enjoyed my version.

Al

suziko

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:33 pm

Al- not sure if I'm encouraged or humbled. Very well done. Your version makes me love the song even more. Karma to you!

Jay- I think you're overestimating my abilities! I wrestled with this song all week and finally decided to set it aside for a little bit. My fingers need to get quicker, I think, before I can make it all stick together so nicely. Still, your rendition was my original inspiration to tackle the song, and Al's makes me want to keep plugging away.

AcousticAl

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:36 pm

jayswett wrote:
I agree that this is well within Suzi's abilities and I hope to see another video from her soon. Nice job again, Al, on this video. You seem as comfortable with a pick in your hand as without. As always, I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Thanks Jay, I enjoyed your version too. You actually did the strumming a bit differently than mine- a softer, lighter strum and pattern which I liked.

Re. the pick- I'm still not quite there yet. I don't have it in 'Neil's pocket' to coin a new way of referring to the 2nd knuckle of the index finger. And it still moves around while I play. Something to work on.

As for Suzi- as I told her in a pm- I think it's good that she left this song for a while, and when she comes back again, she'll be surprised at how easier it comes.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:05 pm

Can't get some sleep without someone posting a video these days! Great! Good job again Al, handling that pick just fine. These video's are becoming the heart and soul of TG. Really enjoy them.

Lavallee

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:06 pm

I agree with Al about the video being a learning tool. Each video should be an evaluation for the author, not a comparison. If there is a concern about posting a video because somebody did a better rendering, I am sure that the same person will look at the others without comparing, but is concerned not to be looked at the same way. Not sure if it make sense, but I just hope that nobody will hold back in posting videos.

Marc

AndyT

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:57 pm

*Practicing feverishly just to try and catch up*

Well, another amazing video by the TG Gang. I SO NEED to PRACTICE!

mark

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:23 am

Really good playing.
Like you have already said, probably a slightly lighter strum on the up stroke.

I think this is a pretty difficult song to play with a pick. It requires a lot of accuracy to pick out the melody.

I play this song fingerstyle. If anyone is finding this song difficult it might be an idea to try it fingerstyle.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic