'Needle & the Damage Done' by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:04 am

mark wrote:
Really good playing.
Like you have already said, probably a slightly lighter strum on the up stroke.

I think this is a pretty difficult song to play with a pick. It requires a lot of accuracy to pick out the melody.

I play this song fingerstyle. If anyone is finding this song difficult it might be an idea to try it fingerstyle.

Thanks Mark. I'd like to see your fingerstyle version if you get a chance to post it.

suziko

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:31 am

Man, I'd LOVE to see this done fingerstyle! Please, Mark, post a video!

jayswett

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:30 pm

suziko wrote:
I wrestled with this song all week and finally decided to set it aside for a little bit. My fingers need to get quicker, I think, before I can make it all stick together so nicely.
Nothing wrong with putting it aside for a bit. I've done the same thing with Never Going Back Again. I agree with Al and others who have pointed out that for some reason getting back to a song afer a few days or perhaps a week often results in significant, unexplained progress. I can't explain it, but I'll take it for what it is.

Chasplaya

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:18 pm

How about this guys fingerstyle version

tovo

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:30 pm

Great job as always Al and I like your sentiment on posting. It's not about waiting until you think you have nailed it better than anyone else on TG. Just to be clear though, I'm certainly not taking a shot at you Suzi, of course you need to be comfortable that you have the song down well enough to post and that's an individual call. I also back up the idea of leaving it for a bit and coming back, I don't know why it works but it seems to give the frustration a bit of a break and clear the head. When you come back to it it just seems easier.

This is a great example of really supporting the progress of other members I think and highlights the real value of posting videos.

AcousticAl

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Chasplaya wrote:

Really liked that Chas, thanks for posting. Gonna try it myself. Hard to tell- is he just using his thumb and middle finger?

Chasplaya

Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:18 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

Really liked that Chas, thanks for posting. Gonna try it myself. Hard to tell- is he just using his thumb and middle finger?
He uses Thumb index and middle, note he also uses the thumb on the G string as well, now thats normally a no no! This version is what I mentioned to Suzi he uses a lot of triplets almost passing or ghost notes, like NY original at Massey

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic