'Old Man' by AcousticAl

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:19 pm

I have to confess at this point that I had never LISTENED to NY playing this until 5 minutes ago on Youtube. Thanks to Al, I'll be investigating this song further, I'll beright along to Neil's lesson now. Sure I'd heard this on radio over the years but LISTENED to it, not until 5 mins ago. Really like it. The joy of TG, new stuff learned at the turn of every day.

suziko

Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Tony = HILARIOUS!! Karma to you for making me laugh so hard!

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:16 pm

reiver wrote:
Nice one Al. Congrats on posting a video that you confess to be not overly happy with. That shows true dedication to the cause. I think that it's probably a good thing that we cant see your face at the 1.02 mark - the lip readers among us may have been a bit shocked.....I find single string playing with a pick the hardest thing to acheive, so I feel your pain.

I'm planning my first post for the week end (i think!), just to get it over with. Can't say it'll be posted after the first take though.

will karma-lise after i'm re-charged.....suz got there first i'm afraid.

r
Thanks Reiver.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not unhappy with how I play it-- that's just as good as I can do right now. It'll improve with practice.

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:18 pm

tovo wrote:
Al I think I can help you out here. There's a big flub on the base run to the chorus, you need to work on that one buddy. Some of the notes are a bit sloppy and you are hitting the wrong base note every so often.

Just kidding...it's great like always! I concur with everyone who has commented that it's good to see the work in progress, I know next video will be on the money.

Hmmm.. where's that negative karma button again?..

Kidding Tony. Funny post, and thanks for your comments.

stratman3

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Al,nice job,sounds good,
you are well on your way, I am also currently working on this song, but I have got more work to do then you do. but I will get there, I am having some problems with picking out the multiple note run when you get to the C chord. As Neil keeps saying in his videos, "the right hand keeps going and never stops.
Thanks for the inspiration. B)

Lavallee

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi Al, very good video again. I think the trick on this one is to palm mute the down stroke so that you can be more percusive and not mute the up stroke. It is also less confusion as where to mute.

Marc

AcousticAl

Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:16 am

stratman3 wrote:
Al,nice job,sounds good,
you are well on your way, I am also currently working on this song, but I have got more work to do then you do. but I will get there, I am having some problems with picking out the multiple note run when you get to the C chord. As Neil keeps saying in his videos, "the right hand keeps going and never stops.
Thanks for the inspiration. B)

Hey Stratman,

That's what I think about when I'm playing this- the right hand keeps going no matter what! That's also why my left hand is a bit sloppy sometimes, as it can't quite keep up. Guess that's a signal to me that I need to slow down a bit.

Good luck with your version.

reiver

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:26 pm

reiver wrote:
will karma-lise after i'm re-charged.....suz got there first i'm afraid.

r

....paid in full

r

michelew

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Another inspiring post Al - you sound great! You guys are making me want to go give up work so I can learn new songs. And palm muting has got me beat, but you make it look easy. I love the post it now and post it again after working on it for a while idea - nice.

Michele

Lavallee

Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:24 pm

Great job Al. That's always been my favorite Neil Young song also. Keep up the good work! - Catfish

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic