'Old Man' by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:08 am

I was going to try to record a better/cleaner version of this- but thought I should practice what I preach and keep the flubs. (You'll see a BIG flub on the base run to the chorus!!)

I recorded this yesterday along with 'Needle & Damage Done' which I already posted.

One thing that stands out for me is sloppy notes and hitting wrong base notes now & again. Your thoughts TG?

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:24 am

Authentic Al. Could be your new name! I really like the way you are showing where you are at on songs without trying to be perfect come hell or high water. Very authentic. I have to confess that these songs requiring more finger work up and down the fretboard are a challenge for me, so may be that's what you are showing me here... I need to try these songs out. Well done Al!

suziko

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:22 am

Al, Sure, it's not perfectly clean, but still really quite good. Sounds like you're getting the palm muting down, even on the acoustic/electric. I like the idea of recording w/o worrying too much about getting it down perfectly. Once again, you've inspired me to go outside my comfort zone; the next video I post I vow not to re-record 20 times :) Karma!

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:03 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Authentic Al. Could be your new name! I really like the way you are showing where you are at on songs without trying to be perfect come hell or high water. Very authentic. I have to confess that these songs requiring more finger work up and down the fretboard are a challenge for me, so may be that's what you are showing me here... I need to try these songs out. Well done Al!

Thanks Chris. This has to be my favourite N.Y. song.

Re. your point about uploading with mistakes-- It's just a snapshot in time, really. Another reason to do that is that the next time I tape this song, hopefully there will be an improvement (HOPEFULLY).

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:07 am

suziko wrote:
Al, Sure, it's not perfectly clean, but still really quite good. Sounds like you're getting the palm muting down, even on the acoustic/electric. I like the idea of recording w/o worrying too much about getting it down perfectly. Once again, you've inspired me to go outside my comfort zone; the next video I post I vow not to re-record 20 times :) Karma!
Thanks Suzi. Quite the change from the palm muting that I put on your wall!! Still working on it- but every once in a while I get it.

About re-re-recording- I don't see a problem with getting a take that you're happy with and re-recording a few times. But there's a difference between a 'good take' and the unattainable 'perfect take'. I think everyone knows where they're at and what represents a 'good take' to them. Go with that one.

BigBear

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:19 am

Al- Not an easy song and you are well on your way to having it down cold. I can tell you've worked hard on it! Well done!

I've only had time to mess around with it a little but I know the attack is really important on that song. Short, crisp notes and not a lot of note ringing which, as you knop, is taken care of with muting.

I love your idea of posting one vid now and then another later when you feel you've really got it nailed down to see your progress. That would be cool!

Keep up the great work buddy! You're my video hero!! :cheer:

BobR

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:14 pm

I liked it Al, Flubs and all. I'm also a Neil Young fan. Hope fully I will be posting something soon. I just can't seem to get my webcam to stop blurring my hands. Maybe that's a good thing :lol:

Bob

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:26 pm

BobR wrote:
I liked it Al, Flubs and all. I'm also a Neil Young fan. Hope fully I will be posting something soon. I just can't seem to get my webcam to stop blurring my hands. Maybe that's a good thing :lol:

Bob

Thanks for the comments Bob & Bear. It's all in the rhythm & muting with this song, and I have a ways to go before I'm satisfied- but I'm happy so far.

One thing I noticed when I play this song is that my good hand position gets thrown out the window! I don't know if it's because I need to hold the guitar differently to get a good palm-mute or the chord progression- but my left hand wants to do the baseball bat grip. I had to fight to keep my thumb at bay. Anyone else find this that's doing this song- or palm muting in general?

reiver

Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Nice one Al. Congrats on posting a video that you confess to be not overly happy with. That shows true dedication to the cause. I think that it's probably a good thing that we cant see your face at the 1.02 mark - the lip readers among us may have been a bit shocked.....I find single string playing with a pick the hardest thing to acheive, so I feel your pain.

I'm planning my first post for the week end (i think!), just to get it over with. Can't say it'll be posted after the first take though.

will karma-lise after i'm re-charged.....suz got there first i'm afraid.

r

tovo

Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:10 pm

Al I think I can help you out here. There's a big flub on the base run to the chorus, you need to work on that one buddy. Some of the notes are a bit sloppy and you are hitting the wrong base note every so often.

Just kidding...it's great like always! I concur with everyone who has commented that it's good to see the work in progress, I know next video will be on the money.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic