Needle and the Damage Done- Suziko Version

galsteien

Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:08 am

Hi suzi

bout the book, seeing as no one offered advice to the non camera person next time just move the camera to the edge of the book and zoom back a bit

Hope this is not as abvios as it sounds, if its lame ass advice , u may wak me ;)

Mark

suziko

Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:37 am

Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I did actually do that on subsequent takes. My camera doesn't zoom back, but I just pushed my chair back a bit :) However, this was my best take, and I figured you all could just disregard the blue rectangle at the bottom. Next time, I'll just transpose subtitles over it ;)

willem

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Anyway, I think the point you're trying to make is that we shouldn't look at Neil's TAB as a script for a song from which we should never deviate. In my mind, Neil is laying out the building blocks of the song: the rhythm and the contrast between the down- and up-strokes are the heart of the song. Then you have the skeleton: the bass run formed around the D-chord and the bass run in the Esus4. Then you have the embellishments: the bass run in the C-chord with the hammer-ons, the slide, adding hammer-ons and such into the Esus4. You have to preserve the heart and the skeleton of the song, but the embellishments can vary whenever you play it (and probably should!). Hope that makes sense!

Susy,this makes absolute sense, lets never forget this true'd and meaningfull words,you got it what Neil trying to do with us..(my vid is soon coming ''black bird" with face(

mmmbldo

Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:06 pm

I'm a little late coming by on this one, so everything has pretty much been said. I just wanted to concur with the others. Good job!

Chasplaya

Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:29 pm

suziko wrote:

Chas-

Anyway, I think the point you're trying to make is that we shouldn't look at Neil's TAB as a script for a song from which we should never deviate. In my mind, Neil is laying out the building blocks of the song

Like you, I think I'll be listening to this song for the rest of my life, and I'm sure I'll continue to play it and hopefully improve upon it. It's a gem of a song.

Suzi
I think I follow that, don't get me wrong Neils tab does the job, but if you listen to his play through (Neil H's) I think you can get the triplet feel which is not totally reflected in the tab. This is where really listening to originals (always difficult with Neil Young cos he changes things so often) can make the difference, Neil H tabs are desinged so as to get the foundations as you said but from there you personalise things and this can come from watching original versions. Hey if you find the Massey version put it up here so everyone can see the master at work :)

willem

Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
suziko wrote:

Chas-

Anyway, I think the point you're trying to make is that we shouldn't look at Neil's TAB as a script for a song from which we should never deviate. In my mind, Neil is laying out the building blocks of the song

Like you, I think I'll be listening to this song for the rest of my life, and I'm sure I'll continue to play it and hopefully improve upon it. It's a gem of a song.

Suzi
I think I follow that, don't get me wrong Neils tab does the job, but if you listen to his play through (Neil H's) I think you can get the triplet feel which is not totally reflected in the tab. This is where really listening to originals (always difficult with Neil Young cos he changes things so often) can make the difference, Neil H tabs are desinged so as to get the foundations as you said but from there you personalise things and this can come from watching original versions. Hey if you find the Massey version put it up here so everyone can see the master at work :)
i believe the massey thing is put up on her wall by Alcoustic AL

willem

Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Maybe is this something...

Chasplaya

Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:54 pm

willem wrote:
[quote]Maybe is this something...

This is the Johnny Cash show

suziko

Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:08 pm

I don't think the Massey version is on YouTube, unfortunately :(

Chasplaya

Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:28 pm

suziko wrote:
I don't think the Massey version is on YouTube, unfortunately :(
I think you could be right i've just spent the last hour searching the net! I'll need to get the DVD and see how I go about uploading the song, the whole Massey concert of 71 is a worthwhile addition to your collection though

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic