Needle and the Damage Done- Suziko Version

suziko

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I am posting this at the urging of Al. I sent it to him to get some feedback, and he told me I should just go ahead and post it for everyone to see. As many of you know, I got really frustrated with my attempts to play this song last week and decided to shelve it for a little while. For a level 4 song, it seems pretty darn hard!

Inspired by Michelew, I decided to "unveil" myself; that is, not cut myself off at the neck. On the one hand, it is nice to see people's faces when they're playing. On the other hand, as a player it seems like just one more thing to stress about ("Do I look ugly?" "Do I look fat?" "How's my 'guitar-face'?"). Or maybe that's just my own insecurites getting in the way. I wonder how people like Neil can look so comfortable and natural on film. I'll have to think about what I'll do for the next video.

Anyway, feedback, as always, is very welcome.

[video type=youtube][/video]

Suzi

p.s. Al asked me, "What's that big blue thing taking up half the screen?" It's my dictionary, on which my camera is propped. Sorry, guys! A camera person I am not.

Yamaha48

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:09 pm

Hello Suzi.

Thanks for making a new video,from your self.
Well done Suzu.
How long you play now this tune?

Greetz from the Netherlands Anton

suziko

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi Anton,

I didn't know this song until I heard Jayswett's version of it, and I fell in love with the song. That was about 2 weeks ago, and I probably worked on it for about 10 days.

Yamaha48

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi Suzi.

You do a good job.
How more you play this tune,how better it sounds.

Big hand for you,

Greetz

suziko

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:21 pm

thanks, Anton!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:28 pm

Hey Suzi, nice to see you... just love your concentration "face" ;-). So cute! And as to the song, that is way, way better than Al's, no contest! ;-). It's really good and you're coming along just fine. Your guitar is sounding really sweet too. You must both be very happy together... like Joe and Mrs. Joe!

More please.... and the karma chameleon is winking at ya!

BigBear

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:28 pm

Suzi- that was Great!! You've really practiced on that song! And to think you were going to give it up!

Now that you've got the song down pat, it's time to work on timing and "feel". Neil Young in particular isn't what I'd call melodic. His songs have a rythym and feel all their own. One way you can get more "feel" is to accentuate the first beat, for example. Just give it a little oompf on the downstroke. Work on getting away from that steady, metronome beat.

I love your new guitar and it's sound!! What kind was it again? (that was for Chas!!) Excellent choice and it looks like it fits you perfectly!! And your confidence with it is increasing!

Great job again and it's so cool to see your steady improvement!! You should be really proud of yourself!! :cheer:

suziko

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:35 pm

Chris- Yes, I look very serious and kind of perplexed in this video. I like to think I don't usually look so tightly-wound and humorless! No way is mine better than Al's, but I appreciate the kind words all the same. I shore do love my little Taylor!

Bear- I DID give it up! I filmed this before I gave up trying to get the song right! But I will come back to it, maybe in a week or so. Part of what I love about this song is the rhythm of it, and how not all the notes are emphasized equally. It was something I strove to recreate but just couldn't quite get. It's a song I'll probably work on forever and never be totally happy with. Luckily, it's such a beautiful song that I don't think I'll get bored of it, either.

tovo

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:36 pm

Really impressive Suzi. Now that you know you can play it and play it well it will only get smoother and smoother. Karma and congratulations.

suziko

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks, Tony!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic