Classical gas second trial Marc

Lavallee

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi all, I look at the comments from the first video and have tried to improve the followings:
tried to put more emotion in the intro by adding more rolling fingers effect
tried to hit the proper strings, was missing quite a few
Also worked on the transition chord progression in bar 8 of section C
improving the end (anything was better than before :)
Neil had suggested to play it slowly, but I start slowly but I seem to get impatient and increase speed (more work on that).
Tried to reduce the muffled strings or chords in the chorus G/C and F/Bb

The goal ultimately is to sound like Neil (besides the guitar sound) : Obviously not there yet: what should I work on? Even if you do not play that song you can still get the feel of the it and make comments.: where do you see the difference; clarity of notes, rythm.. emphasis. I need some guidelines.
I am asking for it, so I will be happy with anything you guys will say

Thanks

Marc

goldleaf

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:20 pm

Marc, you did it. Great job on a very difficult song. Good timing and feeling. All I can say is just keep perfecting it since you pretty much have it nailed. Good on you. Gary

tovo

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Marc that song is just so far out of my league right now but I agree with Gary it's clearly just a matter of more practice. There's just a couple of progressions where there's a clear gap as you grab the barre chord so once that section is smoother the whole thing will flow just fine. Massive kudos to you Marc for getting this classic down so well. Karma too!

neverfoundthetime

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:29 pm

That is coming along just great Marc. No way can I go near that for a long time. baseline comes through nicely (what's the guitar?). I' in awe of anyone whe goes near that song. Karma to you Marc and keep them coming!

Lavallee

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks Gary fro the good comments

Thanks Tovo, thanks for pointing out the gaps, I will practice them better.

Marc

Lavallee

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks Chris, the guitar is a Yamaha APX 900. It is has 3 point pickup with a small equalizer. I am am plugging it in a 15 amps amplifier (bought for my kids) since this guitar does not have much power in accoustic only.It is much better when it is amplified. Eventually, I will probably get an accoustic only. I tried a few Taylors and a Guild (more recently) which impressed me a lot.

Marc

michelew

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:50 pm

I can hear really improvement. You've obviously been working on it. I think it's really impressive that you're tackling learning it. It is so far from my level that I would just get demotivated.

Wow.

Michele

Lavallee

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks Michele,

Classical gas is my thing, I always wanted to learn it. It is my long project , so I do not have a deadline as of when it should be at par. What I am getting at is if you like a song enough to commit yourself to learn it without having a deadline (so no demotivation)it is quite enjoyable to work your way through. The point is to make sure that you really want to learn the song because you love the sound, it is in your head, and you can be patient. I started on it 2 years (almost 3 now) ago when I came back to playing guitar and I had a base as I played for 4-5 years, 30 years ago.

You have to be patient and take the means to achieve your guitar goals while having a great time.

Marc

mmmbldo

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Great job! I haven't seen Neil's lesson yet, so I can't make a comparison. I noticed a couple of places in your rendition that sounded slightly different from what I remember the original to be, but you might be staying true to Neil's arrangement. Just listen for those differences (if they do indeed exist) and keep practicing. You are well on your way to mastering a tough piece.

michelew

Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:26 pm

MArc, that is a really good philosophy. Thank you, I will take it to heart. You're a great role model.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic