yamaha48 wrote:
Hi Al.

You doing a good job man.
The rithem part is also good.
Your richt hand strumming good.
How long you play now this song?.
Karma from me,for you my friend.

Greetz from the Netherlands
Thanks Anton. I've been playing this off and on since I picked the guitar back up about a year and a half ago. I have to re-learn the intro if I leave it for too long!

dennisg

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Wow, Al! That's fantastic! That's a song I've always loved and wanted to play. You inspire me.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

tovo

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:24 pm

I think Chris is right Al, the only thing you can do now is add some vocals. Great job mate.

willem

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:52 pm

AL, NICE SOUND,i do not know the song but i go listen to it in the weekend,you did full off dicipline i saw that....do have the tab...?

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:09 pm

willem wrote:
AL, NICE SOUND,i do not know the song but i go listen to it in the weekend,you did full off dicipline i saw that....do have the tab...?

Thanks Willem. The original song is pasted earlier in this thread if you want to check it out.

I do not have the tab. I learned it on youtube. There's no shortage of people who think they can play it and try to show you how. None comes close to Neil's lessons, of course.

jayswett

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:52 pm

I love that song. The open E tuning puts alot of tension on the neck of the guitar, and I actually damaged a guitar by keeping it in open E tuning for a prolonged period of time. Stupid, rookie mistake.

Great video. I'd love to learn that song and will do so before long, I hope. In a couple of weeks, you'll have that sounding perfectly. I noted an odd looking chord high up on the neck. Not sure what fret it was on, but it looked like a partial bar involving the low strings. I've seen that song played before with the guitarist using only a single finger to barre all six strings on the same fret. With the open E tuning, that amounted to what I think was a standard Am shaped barre chord. It sounded authentic to this untrained ear. I imagine your version is the correct way to play that song. Nicely done.

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:13 pm

Thanks Jay, Bill, Wilson, Dennis & Tony (did I miss anyone?)

Jay, you're right about that funky looking chord on the 7th fret. I sneak my middle finger up under and hit the g string. That lets me arch my index and NOT play the G and high E string. There's actually a cooler way of playing it that I saw on the net that involves bringing your hand/index finger up over the top of the guitar and only playing the top 4 strings. I'm sure that's probably pretty high on Neil's 'What NOT to do list', so I avoided doing that.

BTW- thanks for the heads-up about guitar tension in open E tuning. Hadn't really thought about that and have put my guitar back to regular tuning.

michelew

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:38 pm

NIce one Al. I hadn't heard it before either. The intro was especially good.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:14 pm

That's funny Chris. I was going to say that I don't have the pipes and needed someone to step up. Listen to the original all the way through and see if you're the man to take it on..
Great song Al, maybe I could sing it but I'm missing the rock 'n' roll attitude so it would come out quite different. Friend of mine reckons I always sing too sweet!

RicksPick

Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:19 pm

Al What can i say !

No need for vocals
Sounds so good acoustically
Reminds me why I picked up a guitar
Sweet sound, Well done.

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic