Harvest Moon - 1st Video -Goldleaf

heyjoe

Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Hello Gary

I'm not sure if I commented on this before or not, but just listened to it again, and it sounded good.

Really like the sound of the guitar too, what make is it? From what I can hear the bass comes through and the treble is easily heard, and it has a nice balanced sound.

I do have a question about your posture, please don't take it as a criticism, as it isn't meant as that in any way, i'm just looking for information, its about the way you hold your guitar.

In the video, the guitar looks as though it's not flat against your body, but at quite an angle, and you have the guitar neck quite high, I'm wondering if there is any reason why you play the guitar this way, and doe sit benefit you in any way?

Also, karma to you for putting a video up, it can be a nerve-wracking thing to do, but the benefits are huge.

well done

Joe

goldleaf

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:00 pm

yamaha48 wrote:
Hallo Gary.

I remember me now,sorry.
On the first place i think you forget to place the video.

Greetz Anton
Thank you Anton for your nice help. I appreciate your thought. Good on you. Gary

goldleaf

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:13 pm

heyjoe wrote:
Hello Gary

I'm not sure if I commented on this before or not, but just listened to it again, and it sounded good.

Really like the sound of the guitar too, what make is it? From what I can hear the bass comes through and the treble is easily heard, and it has a nice balanced sound.

I do have a question about your posture, please don't take it as a criticism, as it isn't meant as that in any way, i'm just looking for information, its about the way you hold your guitar.

In the video, the guitar looks as though it's not flat against your body, but at quite an angle, and you have the guitar neck quite high, I'm wondering if there is any reason why you play the guitar this way, and doe sit benefit you in any way?

Also, karma to you for putting a video up, it can be a nerve-wracking thing to do, but the benefits are huge.

well done

Joe
Joe, thanks for you comments, as for your questions, My Guitar, It is a Guild that was made in Tacoma WA in 2007 for only about 6 months. Look under "TG Groups" and look for "Guild Contemporaty Series" for a full explanation. If you look close you'll notice that it has white (bone) pins on the Bass strings and black (Ebony) pins on the Treble strings which helps increase the upper and lower range of the guitar. It came from the factory like that. See Groups for the long story and availability of these guitars. The second question about my posture and how I hold the guitar. I had polio age 6, use a wheelchair since then, I have scoilosis, which is a curvature of the spine which causes my torso to be shorter especially on my right side, therefore I have difficulty getting the guitar up against my body. I am working on finding a chair for just playing the guitar where I can let the guitar hang more to my side so it will be more straight up and down as in the classical position, which would make it easier for me to finger the notes and chords properly. Now I basically just accommodate as I have done with many things most all my life. Thanks for your question as it is one that has been and will continue to be brought up as something that will help improve my playing. No problem answering these questions, glad you asked, maybe I'll get a suggestion that will help me improve, which is what I think we all would like. Who nows maybe Neil might even have a suggestion. Thanks. Gary

heyjoe

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks very much for the answer gary, no matter how you hold it, it sure is a nice sounding guitar, and you're playing it well.

I never knew that using different pins could alter the sound, thanks for educating me about that.

Joe

goldleaf

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:44 pm

dennisg wrote:
Great job, Gary -- sweet and soulful.

- Dennis (in Seattle)
Dennis, sweet and soulful, sounds like a good name for a new song to me. Thanks for your comments. Gary

goldleaf

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:51 pm

Joe, there is a lot more to that particular guitar that causes the richness, volume and sustain, besides the pins, but some of the long time TG'ers have heard me discuss the Guild "limited" series, probably more than they would like so I now refer people to the Group I started which explaines the unique features of this guitar, the price range and availability. If you sign up for this group I would be glad to discuss the different features regarding this guitar. There are still a few available either through wholsalers or hard to find music stores @ very reasonable prices. etc. Gary

jayswett

Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:59 pm

I saw this before, but I loved it even more the second time around. I should join the Neil Young appreciation society.

Lavallee

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Nice playing Gary, your strumming is quite smooth and harmonious. Your guitar sounds very nice. I tried a Guild not too long ago and thought the sound was rich.

Marc

goldleaf

Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:55 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Nice playing Gary, your strumming is quite smooth and harmonious. Your guitar sounds very nice. I tried a Guild not too long ago and thought the sound was rich.

Marc
Marc, if you go to Community, "Groups" Guild Contemporary Series" I posted a video of Willy Porter introducing and playing the same guitar I have at the 2007 NAMM, his is Sunburst but otherwise the same. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic