Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Update

jayswett

Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Better than my first verion. This one includes the interlude and ending that I hadn't worked on previously. It is far from perfect, but hey, it's progress, and I'll take it. I again use the shifted position when fingerpicking this as I find it awkward using my thumb for sequential base notes.

haoli25

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:21 pm

Big time applause Jay. That was fantastic. All of your hard work has surely paid off. Thank you for posting your video. Bravo!

Bill Image

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Hey Jay,

Much better! Like the softer, more controlled strumming in this one. Also like the interlude and ending that you added. All in all, you can really see and improvement over last time.

Karma!

Lavallee

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:42 pm

Hi Jay, very good playing, You have that strumming after the interlude right on the nose. The interlude is also very good. We have the same problem hitting that first A string of the interlude neatly right after the quick strumming (which you also do very well and quite improved from your previous video). I will have to review mine. The transition between the quick strumming to the arpeggio is difficult because you have to move very quickly from the invisible pick (closed hand) to an arpeggio position (open hand) and the thumb hits many strings. Notice you took Neil's ending which sounds very good.

Excellent

Marc

reiver

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:44 pm

Hi Jay

Agree with Al on the strumming - sounds a lot more controlled. And well done on making some of those big stretches. Could have done with a cute kid introducing it though....... :)

Karma on its way.

r

Lavallee

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:47 pm

By the way Jay, do you have a new guitar, or is it a whita balance effect?

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:00 am

Impressive! Warm, fluid and elegant.

I humbly suggest that you could add some emphasis to the what I think is the "interlude" part: hitting the strings harder would add emotion.

Wish we all had expensive video cameras: fingerwork is not always as clear as we would like (left and right hand) ... that's life :)

Karma for you, I'm just starting to use it (should be "buy the member a beer" button)

AcousticAl

Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:16 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Impressive! Warm, fluid and elegant.

I humbly suggest that you could add some emphasis to the what I think is the "interlude" part: hitting the strings harder would add emotion.

Wish we all had expensive video cameras: fingerwork is not always as clear as we would like (left and right hand) ... that's life :)

Karma for you, I'm just starting to use it (should be "buy the member a beer" button)

Jay,

I agree with Cosmic- your hands do blur in this version. Your last version was much clearer. I'm assuming that you've changed what you're using to record with? Was this one done with a webcam- and the last one a video camera?

nemastetaylor

Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:24 am

Yeah, Loved it. Wow nice playing. You have inspired me to keep tackling this song and take it further along.

jayswett

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:58 am

Thanks for the comments.

The camera I used for this is a cheap webcam and is clearly inferior to my other camera in all respects (audio and video). The other camera takes some effort to setup, and this video was a spur of the moment kind of thing. I happened to play it last night (sitting on the couch) and thought it sounded reasonable enough to justify an updated video. The blur effect was more pronounced than usual last night for some reason. The learning point for me from this was to take the extra time to use the other camera. At some point I will delve deeply into the techies group to get some pointers on how to improve the recording aspect of playing guitar.

My boy who has introduced me in the past was sound asleep at the time of this video. He does enjoy being in front of the camera, and I suspect he will make another appearance at some point.

Finally, this guitar is not new. It's another of my entry level Alavarez guitars. The guitar I would normally play is currently tuned to an open D as Al has inspired me to learn that Black Crowes song. When I can save a few dollars, I'm going to see what I can do about getting a Taylor or perhaps a Larivee. Suzi's new guitar sounds particularly nice to me, so I've been haunting our local guitar shop, playing the occasional used Taylor that passes through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic