Dust in the wind - Michele

haoli25

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:59 am

Great job Michele!!! I really liked your version of 'Dust In The Wind' and I think your hand positions are a model for us all.
I also liked the second video....the smile was worth waiting for. :)

Bill Image

jayswett

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:06 am

Beautiful. I have only one thought in terms of improvement, which is that in the chorus, you are playing D/F# three times, when it should only be played twice. Double check the tab or Neil's play along version to see what I mean.

I liked how you slowed it down to make it a bit more manageable, and I also liked how you learned the entire song. That surely is a lovely song and fun to play. A friend of mine has a daughter who pays the violin very well, so I'm going to take my guitar over to their house and have her play the violin solo for me as I play the guitar portion. No doubt your thoughts on perfomance anxiey will be similar to mine at that moment.

willem

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:09 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Hi Michele,

That was a marathon song to get through- with very few mistakes I might add! I loved the look of relief you had at the end.. priceless! The 2nd (blooper) video was pretty funny too!!

Your guitar and hand position seems really good and comfortable for you.. right hand angled downward, left hand wrist arched around. You look ready to hit ANY note on the fret board with your long fingers. :)

I also noticed that you're following Neil's advice about selectively placing your fingers on notes, instead of trying to land the whole chord with all your fingers at once.

Great job and great post.

Karma!
Al, thanks for telling what NIEL is trying to learn us, i not notice that,so the next time i go for this song i maybe understand it more..

karma goes to Michele,the next when i get one is for you..

wrench

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:46 am

And you say you're no video rock star,huh? I beg to differ. Nice job.

reiver

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:44 am

Nice post Michelle. You're Australian! (that was probably a bigger surprise to me than it was to you......)

I agree with previous comments - great hand position and good timing throughout. And don't worry about the smiling, I agree with Willem - it'll get easier once you can stop thinking so much about what you're playing, and it's probably overrated - I think we'd all look a bit strange smiling all the way thro' a guitar recital! If I ever get round to posting a vid I might just throw one in at the end......

r

ps karma on the way

pps as a scot i think i deserve great credit for not mentioning the rugby Image

dennisg

Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:15 am

Michele,

I haven't watched your video yet, but I intend to later today. I just wanted to address your performance anxiety issue.

It's completely normal. Everyone with little experience performing feels it. You can't will yourself to get over it. You just have to keep putting yourself in the very position you're most afraid of -- sitting in front of the camera, performing. One way to speed up the process is to turn the camera on, then leave it on for the next hour while you just play. If you don't like a particular take, let the camera roll, and start over. Do this every day as you practice, so that turning the camera on doesn't feel like a major departure from your routine. Pretty soon (maybe in just a couple of days), playing in front of the camera will be so second nature, it will have zero effect on your playing.

Best of luck to you.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

Lavallee

Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:27 am

Hi Michelle, very good playing, you are obviously getting more confident with your guitar. Even though you say you are tensed, it does not show on the video. Regarding the tension in your finger that you mentionned, when you will be able to play the song with your eyes closed, there will not be any more tension since there will be no question in your mind as to be careful with this and that. Just notice it when you play a song which is a total no brainer for you, non tension.

Karma for your video and very good playing and improvement

Marc

Lavallee

Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:29 am

jayswett wrote:
Beautiful. I have only one thought in terms of improvement, which is that in the chorus, you are playing D/F# three times, when it should only be played twice. Double check the tab or Neil's play along version to see what I mean.

I liked how you slowed it down to make it a bit more manageable, and I also liked how you learned the entire song. That surely is a lovely song and fun to play. A friend of mine has a daughter who pays the violin very well, so I'm going to take my guitar over to their house and have her play the violin solo for me as I play the guitar portion. No doubt your thoughts on perfomance anxiey will be similar to mine at that moment.
Hi Jay, it would very interesting to get a video of your duet.

Marc

michelew

Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:44 pm

Thanks everyone - very supportive - I'm sure you're helping me get over the anxiety (eventually).

Anton - I've seen your playing - I'm sure that you could play this with practice if you wanted to. It took we quite a while to get this together.

Bill - model hand position eh... maybe without the tension. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the angle of the neck.

Jay - have fun with the duet - I'd love to see that, sounds like it could be a hoot! The violin bit would really add something.

Willem - thanks for the karma.

Reiver - good plan - play first ...smile at the end... I like it...I think I can do that - thanks for the karma.

Wrench - thanks -rockstar - I repeat - yeh right..

Dennis - thanks for the tips on beating anxiety - I can see how that could help.

Marc - so the tension will be gone when I can play with my eyes closed eh...guess I've got it for a while then. Thanks for the karma.

RicksPick

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi Michelle

How we all know where your coming from
Well most of us anyway
your thumb running the base looked nice and smooth and natural
Must adjust my position now to get my hand over the sound hole more.
And relax, must have camera on more.
Lots of advice here for us all

Nice video framing, most of us hide our guitar faces

A big well done and karma for you for putting yourself out there.
Nice to see

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic