Over the hills and far away first trial Marc

Lavallee

Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:30 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Tough for me to comment - I haven't even looked at Neil's lesson on it yet. But I obviously do know the song, and good going for taking it on, Marc! The timing is everything and I'm sure it's not easy.

Will check out the lesson and compare when I get a chance.
Thanks Al, I think you just nailed the challenge of this song: timing. Learning the order of the chords is demanding but it is memory work. But the strumming mixed with the picking, the increasing beat with some quick changing chords which does not really follow the singing melody makes it difficult. But it is really fun. I hope to update in about a month.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Marc

Yamaha48

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:59 am

Hello Mark.
This tune stand above my guitar play.
You do a good job with it.
I think this is a good try that you will share with us.
Karma for you Mark.

Greet my friend. Anton

Lavallee

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:54 am

Thanks for the good comment and the Karma, Anton

Marc

willem

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:00 am

Hi Marc, a other challenge! and a big one,, what can i say, well you memorise the whole thing, thats one way... maybe a little slower in your practise playing on this song and losing up on the strum???

question.... do you hammer and pull off on tricky riff's??? your on your way, that can i see and hear!!!

Lavallee

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:14 am

Hi Willem, you are right about the speed, I should slow down until I can play it properly, I have noted it for other people but did not do it myself on that song. I will correct that. Thanks for the observation.

The riff is a series of hammer on and pull off while hitting the open the open G string in the middle between the G and the D chord. If you want to learn this song, this is where you should start to memorize, as a riff is easy to remember the strings, but it takes a little while for the muscle memory to kick in. I found that the intermediate riff in the Em position was more difficult because you need a good picking speed which I have to work hard on.

Thanks

Marc

Music Junkie

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:58 am

Hey Marc:

Nice job! That is a difficult song to get the timing down on. You deserve a big hand for even tackling it and having the courage to post it. I have not really worked on that song, mostly because it is above my level right now. So karma to you and you should be very proud of yourself. Your practice is paying off!

MJ Image

Lavallee

Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks MJ, I will try to repost in about a month with hoefully with some improvement on the timing.

Marc

suziko

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:02 am

Marc,

First of all- great job and thanks for putting this up. I don't think I realized, until watching you play it, just how difficult that song is! There's a lot of fast finger work in it. But that all sounds good to me; it sounds like you're getting the chords and melody parts right.

I would repeat what a few others have said: there's something slightly off on the timing. I'm not sure what it is, but it sounds to me like you're rushing a note or holding something slightly too long. The timing on this song is tricky, so it's no surprise that it might be one of the harder (if not the hardest!) aspects of the song. Like others have said, maybe slow it down a bit until you nail the timing. I doubt it'll take you long.

Great job! Karma to you! Suzi

Lavallee

Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks for you comment and Karma, Suzi.

Yes I will work on the timing. I actually was trying to follow the original which becomes quite fast and I could not figure out where I was lagging. I know I am a little slow on the second part of the riff before the D chord among other things. So I am going to slow it down for a while until it becomes more fluid and then speed up again.

Thanks

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic